Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

American to Correct Headlight Conversion

S-Car-Go

Enthusiast
I mentioned in my "introduction" post that I would like to do a swap from these terrible, round, sealed-beam US units to the correct Euro-spec headlights. I want to propose a project to anyone who might help out. In order to do this correctly, I am going to need to know what the exact differences are between the headlight assemblies and the mounting areas. Thus, I shall take photos of every layer of my car's headlight assemblies and post them here. Then, if anyone is willing, we can compare to figure out what I need to purchase.

Malcolm has some decent photos on his rebuild page that may suffice. However, I will gladly take all of the help I can get.

I'd be surprised if the bracketry that holds the different lights is so substantially different that you couldn't just fit LHD market lights without any modification. The only difficulty is surely going to be sourcing early R5 lights to fit in with the bodywork on your car, I'm pretty sure they changed the headlights when the 5 was facelifted to the deep bumpers.

As best I can determine, the only difference seems to be the inner wall where the headlight buckets mount. On my car they contain round openings to fit the US mandated sealed beam units. This would have to be modified to accept the square-ish buckets.

I have got at least 1 new headlamp mounting and maybe even lamps them selves can take photos but think you would need grille as well again maybe able to find

Paul, you are absolutely correct. The grille would have to be replaced. We are experiencing absurdly low temperatures at the moment here, but as soon as it warms up, I will take some photos and attempt to summarize what I think needs to be done.

I've almost given up on this idea. Without a front clip off of a European car, the swap would be difficult to say the least. One would have to fabricate a lot of parts it seems. It looks like the bumper mounting area was changed completely to accommodate the US bumpers. The headlight area on the European cars seem to have substantial areas of sheet metal that are missing on the US car (pre 1980). In any case, I thought you folks across the Atlantic might find these photos interesting.

IMAG0262.jpg IMAG0264.jpg

Now compare that with this photo from this site.

engine-fitted-large.jpg

The Euro car has the semi-circle scoops under the headlights and the holes in the wall are square-ish (that makes sense). The US car completely eliminates that semi-circular part. The US car adds those rubber bumper things but also a substantial amount of sheet metal bracketry onto which the rubber mounts.

The headlamp sits into a rectangular bowl which comes with plastic bits and springs to mount the headlamp (you can just make out the bowl as the black part in the photo) which looks to be secured to the flat vertical panel with 4 screws. I don't remember what the rest of the complication in that area is for.

Might not be too difficult a job if you can get hold of the headlamp mounting bowls as well as the headlamps.

• headlamp.jpg
    headlamp.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2
Malcolm,

Most of the headlamps I have seen on eBay France look like this.

Headlight.JPG

Is that amber coloured bit the "rectangular bowl" to which you refer?

That's just the headlamp. The bowl is another part with all the headlamp mountings and adjusters attached.

Probably tricky to find. For a conversion it would be easiest to find someone who is breaking a car.

Unfortunately, that is the tricky part for me (being roughly 4200 miles away). If anyone knows of anyone breaking a car over there, I would be most interested.

I had expected that much difference between the two, I retract any and all advice I might have given faced with the reality of the task at hand. What a nightmare.

I have some headlamp bowls, both sides I think which are rusty but useable. Will look them out later today
Allan

I have 2 bowls, 1 L, 1 R, £20 the pair, suspect postage will be high though. I have some friends from Chicago visiting next month, I could ask them if they can carry over the pond and post there. What do you think?
Allan

If we can find a way to get them here, then I'd say we've got a deal.

Sorry friends have no room in cases for bowls but postage about £20 if this is ok send post details and we can sort payment
Allan

Back