Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Another Free 4gtl Engine

bobpike

R4 rodder
When I bought my 5TS engined 4GTL it came with a good but dismantled origional engine as spare. I have just bought the complete running gear from a 5 Gordini Turbo to fit over next winter and rather than start to gather a garage full of engines, would like to give the 4GTL engine to anyone who might want it. I am in Norwich, Norfolk and can be found on 01603 408021.
Cheers, Bob.

bobpike said:
5 Gordini Turbo to fit

:)
don´t forget the suspension and all..else it is very hard to keep on the road.
the rest is only fun.
do you want to keep the original setup(carb before turbo?) or the r5 GTT(gt turbo setup)

greetz

cees

Hi cees, The suspension has been lowered and a thicker anti roll bar fitted on the front.I am planning to use the origional Gordini/Alpne turbo set up, but if you have any information on better ways of going about the conversion ( gtt turbo, intercooler etc) then I would be very happy to hear. Thanks, Bob.

http://spaces.msn.com/ceesntien/photos/
check this site, it has some pictures of the rebuild.
the biggest problem with the original setup is that the carb is blocking the original shiftstick(the upright thing).
so you will have to move it futher away from the turbo. which means that the mixture is travelling longer and in my case some fuel is left(liquid) before the turbo. so when the turbo starts spinning some liquid so no gassed fuel is sucked into the turbo and the engine stalls. most of the times the is temporarily and after 5 secs it runs great again, bbut sometimes it totally stops.
with a hot engine there usually is no problem.
also you can not use the original tubing from the turbo to the inletmanifold, you will have to fix something else.

if you use a inlet manifold from the normal atmospheric alpine/gordini and the carb of the r5GTT(not PnP) you have less problems with this and you can fit an intercooler...so more power and less chance of "knock" because you have a cooler mixture.but it should also work without the intercooler(this is my next big project i think, together with fitting 5AT front brakes)

don´t forget to put the engine 2cm higher on its mountings because else the shaft of the steering wheel will touch the outlet manifold.

if possible it is also better to fit an anti roll bar on the rear, from a F6(PnP) or 5AT(some modifications)
an put some good shocks. I now have got red(adjustable) KONI´s all around.

but just look at my pictures.
and you can also check this site, it is in dutch you can look at the pictures anyway.
http://members.chello.nl/f.sikkema1
he has used the original 5AT gearbox and only LPG injection(homemade) and it has about 140-150bhp.
if you have any more questions you can always ask them.

grtz and suc6
cees

Hi cees r4AT,
Thanks for some very useful information, as usual things are never as easy as they first look.
Regards, Bob.

I've put the GTL engine on ebay at 'buy it now £0.99' but really it's just free for the taking. Following the helpful information received about putting in a Gordini Turbo engine I've realised I'm out of my depth so it will be sold to help my savings towards have nitrous put on the 5TS engine. If anyone is interested in the Gordini engine, box, turbo, radiator, driveshafts etc please get in touch
Cheers, Bob.

Last chance to take the 4GTL engine away before it goes to the dump. I hate just throwing things away but I do want the space. Bob.

Hi Bob.

Enjoyed the feature on your R4 in Retro Cars! A very tidy R4. How much power do you think you'll get out of it with nitrous? I might be interested in the Gordini engine but cashflow doesn't permit it right now, so maybe I'll ask you again in a while.

Hope you found a home for the 1108.

Hi,
Thanks for your comments about the R4. I don't know what the power will be but if it's good at traffic lights I'll be happy.
Gordini stuff has been sold be the 1108 will have to go to the dump this weekend.
Cheers, Bob.

Out of interest Bob, do you know if the rear arches on yours had to be flared to accommodate lowering and turbo alloys?

<optix hatches project plan>

Hi, all I did was bend up the lip and then tug it a bit until it didn't rub. Pretty sophisticated what! You will need 165 60x13 as 175 will rub even at standard height.I've not had any passangers in the back but the car still has a very good ride and loads of suspension travel. Front s/absorber bushes were cut in half.
Cheers, Bob.

Back