Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Anti-Roll Bar Help

elliomitch

Hi Guys, new here!

I've been wondering what sizes of Anti-Roll bar (stabiliser) were fitted to/do fit the R4, I know the Mk1 R5 bar fits and they go up to 16mm (I think), and I've seen a company that make 21mm, but other than that it seems like only 10 or 12mm bars. All the bushes available seem to be only 16mm though, weirdly...

Thanks!

Hi, I've got a Mk1 R5 Gordini anti-roll bar on my 4 GTL, yes it is 16mm dia. It made a big difference, but with an F4 rear one, 10mm dia, also fitted, it really transforms the car. Maybe not quite the soft ride usually associated with the 4, but cornering at speed doesn't feel like the door handles are touching the road.

Ah yes, that's the real benefit, in that the suspension doesn't need to be super firm to keep it handling flat! Do you find it's a bit unstable/pitches a lot on bumpy roads?

I have a couple of torsion bars and an anti roll one from an r6 rear axle (I have the complete axle, but is quite stuck).I was wondering if transplanting the whole axle is the only way to fit it to my r4, since it doesn't have the cast iron rear arms and no holes for the required bolts are there...

It works well in all conditions, not that it didn't before. It's just that I wanted it to corner a bit flatter, which it does with these mods.
Azazello, I would attempt to strip down this F6 axle you have, and use the torsion bars, which I believe are a bigger diameter, and also use the a-r bar.

It works well in all conditions, not that it didn't before. It's just that I wanted it to corner a bit flatter, which it does with these mods.
Azazello, I would attempt to strip down this F6 axle you have, and use the torsion bars, which I believe are a bigger diameter, and also use the a-r bar.
I would like to use both torsion bars and antiroll bar, but I would like to put them to my actual rear axle rather than swap axles, since on the f6 one I will probably have to change both bearings and braking parts... on the other hand, my suspension arms don't have the threaded holes to host the a-r bar!

That is strange Azazello, the F4 anti-roll bar I've used came off a van with the pressed-steel suspension arms, and with a bit of modification to the fitting clamps, it bolted to my cars cast arms using the tapped holes already there.
I'm surprised your suspension arms aren't threaded.

You can fit rear anti-roll bars to any cars with pressed trailing arms with no holes in them. There is already a thread on the forum about how to do it, you should be able to look it up. When the rear anti-roll bar first came in it was an option for "rough roads" cars only in some markets. It can be fitted by drilling the required holes and making a small plate with two tapped holes in it which gets slipped down the void at the front of the trailing arm. The two tapped holes align with the holes and act as anchor nuts. Renault used to sell spe cial seating washers that fit on the outside of the trailing arm between the anti-roll bar and the trailing arm surface when you put in the bolts to clamp them up.

Piet, that has now jogged my memory. It's a few years ago I acquired the F4 anti-roll bar, and it was on a wreck in a barn in deepest darkest France, and looking back it did look like a retro fitted item. I managed to modify the seating washers and fit it to the cast trailing arms on my previous 4. It's now on my present one.

You can fit rear anti-roll bars to any cars with pressed trailing arms with no holes in them. There is already a thread on the forum about how to do it, you should be able to look it up. When the rear anti-roll bar first came in it was an option for "rough roads" cars only in some markets. It can be fitted by drilling the required holes and making a small plate with two tapped holes in it which gets slipped down the void at the front of the trailing arm. The two tapped holes align with the holes and act as anchor nuts. Renault used to sell spe cial seating washers that fit on the outside of the trailing arm between the anti-roll bar and the trailing arm surface when you put in the bolts to clamp them up.
I'm not sure I understood what you're describing me, but i will investigate and ask for further information if required!
Thank you!

Back