Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Antifreeze

terry

Enthusiast
What is the best antifreeze to use and do I completely need to drain the system or can I just drain some of the coolant. My car is a 1989 LHD Spanish model and it looks to have had a replacement upgraded rad without a drain plug. I though I could undo the bottom hose and rad cap to drain some of the coolant and then refill with concentrated antifreeze - any advice would be appreciated, Thanks Terry

"When coolant was still green, or blue"
G11 is the oldest type of coolant mentioned. G11 is usually blue (sometimes green) and contains silicates. Silicates are salts. This means that the product is only suitable for cast iron engine blocks. If you use it in engine blocks with aluminum heads/water pumps/radiator parts, it is corrosive. Something that Triumph Stag riders, for example, paid their tuition with.

"Modern Red or yellow"
G12 came later when aluminum engines/heads became common. This fluid is red, sometimes yellow. Unlike G11, G12 is based on Organic Acid Technology (OAT). This means, among other things, that G12 does not contain silicates, so it is not harmful to aluminum parts. In addition, G12 contains improved additives that protect the cooling system. In 2005, G12 received an update: G12+. The improvement came from a package of better balanced additives. G12+ is purple or colorless and is also called universal coolant. The stuff mixes well with other coolants, an action that is generally not recommended. And then there is also an upgraded G12+, the G12++, also called G13 for convenience."

So I'm going for the G12, yellow variant, as the Billancourt and Cleon engine has a cast iron block with aluminum heads.

And never mix coolant variants, just flush the whole system and make sure to use one type of coolant,
Renault recommended to change every 3 years or 45.000 kilometers, but the nowadays longlife types of coolant may last longer.

G11 is the oldest type of coolant mentioned. G11 is usually blue (sometimes green) and contains silicates. Silicates are salts. This means that the product is only suitable for cast iron engine blocks. If you use it in engine blocks with aluminum heads/water pumps/radiator parts, it is corrosive. Something that Triumph Stag riders, for example, paid their tuition with.

"Modern Red or yellow"
G12 came later when aluminum engines/heads became common. This fluid is red, sometimes yellow. Unlike G11, G12 is based on Organic Acid Technology (OAT). This means, among other things, that G12 does not contain silicates, so it is not harmful to aluminum parts. In addition, G12 contains improved additives that protect the cooling system. In 2005, G12 received an update: G12+. The improvement came from a package of better balanced additives. G12+ is purple or colorless and is also called universal coolant. The stuff mixes well with other coolants, an action that is generally not recommended. And then there is also an upgraded G12+, the G12++, also called G13 for convenience."

So I'm going for the G12, yellow variant, as the Billancourt and Cleon engine has a cast iron block with aluminum heads.

And never mix coolant variants, just flush the whole system and make sure to use one type of coolant,
Renault recommended to change every 3 years or 45.000 kilometers, but the nowadays longlife types of coolant may last longer.
Thanks very much Johnny

"Modern Red or yellow"

I am now confused I have just bought some antifreeze labeled AG13 Longline SAE J1034 but it is green is this OK for a GTL Iron /Alloy engine

G13 longlive is an upgraded G12 and is fine for Iron/Alloy engines.

Back