Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Anyone lend me a hand?

MikePich

Enthusiast
My neighbour of 29 years had a stroke last year. His wife died about 3 years ago. She had dementia and hadn't driven her Renault 5 1.7 GTX for maybe 4 years before that.

My neighbour will never be able to drive again and I helped him with the sale of his VW Passat last month and the next task is "the little red car" as he calls it.

Selling a 2005 Passat was a doddle. All I needed to do was replace the battery, wash it properly and get an MOT sorted.

Selling the Renault presents a situation I am not best placed to deal with.

So, I am asking anyone based in the North West who might be willing to take a look at her and point me in the right direction. Is it worth paying to get the car roadworthy as I can't do it with my delicate designer digits - or just sell it as it is.

Or indeed anyone on this forum who can offer advice without seeing the car.

It is G registered, red (faded now) one owner - I am not use of the mileage but it will be low for the year I am sure.

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike, I don't understand. Why is the Renault 5 any harder to prepare to sell than the VW Passat?

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. It won't start, It won't move (can't push it), I am not mechanically minded.

Either one of those is too much for me to start trying to overcome.

Thanks for a quick response though.

Anyone else?

Hi, its so hard to tell without seeing the car.
But its not a very desirable model or year and its going to need work if its sat unused. Any expenditure is very unlikely to be recouped.
My advice would be to leave it as is, take some pictures and pop it on ebay and maybe get a few hundred for it...

Thanks for that advice Stuart. I was hoping it might be a more desirable model because of the 1.7 engine.

I will take some pictures and post them up on this forum. It might generate more interest within the community.

Hi Mike, I'm not that far away (Burnley) so could have a look although I'm a bit short of time in the next week or two - does it need to be shifted urgently? I'm assuming not!

Realistically, given its been off the road for seven years (if I read this correctly) then the cost of the work doing to get an MOT probably outweighs its value, as it is it won't be worth a fortune although the GTX was a pretty nice car in the day but its unlikely to be worth more than a few hundred as it is.

Lets have some more pictures anyway. I'm hoping its terminally rusty as that stops me being tempted...!

Hi Lobster

I am here to tempt you!!

I was speaking with Ron yesterday and he reminded me that his daughter's boyfriend had got the car running two years ago and borrowed it for a trip to Scotland for a wedding. Sadly the boyfriend is no more (not deceased - only in the daughter's eyes).

Also the underbody had been attended to a couple of years earlier.

So it may not be as bad as I originally thought.

Here are some photos I took last night.

P1000021.JPG P1000022.JPG P1000023.JPG P1000024.JPG P1000025.JPG P1000026.JPG P1000027.JPG P1000029.JPG P1000030.JPG P1000031.JPG P1000027.JPG P1000029.JPG P1000030.JPG

Hey Lobster, thanks for your comments earlier - and the fact that you have liked my last two posts. I am trying to move this (amongst other things like a B&O music centre and TV) forward for my neighbour at a bit of a pace now.
Can you suggest any other viable avenues for me? I'm thinking advertising it on eBay or on Autotrader would be the wrong path.
An alternative forum perhaps.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mike

Back