Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Billancourt variations

Aris64

My 4TL has the 845cc Billancourt engine with 800 /07 xxxxxx serial No. Looking further I found that different variations of the same engine exist like 800 / 01, 800 / 02 etc. Is there anyone knows what is the difference among them?

Welcome aboard Aris ;-)

First three digits refer to engine type. There was 680 for 747cc, 839 for 782cc, 800 for 845cc and so on.
Suffix refers to engine ancillaries like carburettor, distributor, water pump etc in accordance with particular vehicle fitment. Either 800-01 or 800-05 types were originally fitted on the R4, other types as the -02 or -10 were fitted to R6 and R5.
-01 was the "basic" 845 engine with 28mm carburettor and 30HP (I think) power. -05 was fitted on other market cars (Germany, Sweden for example), had 32mm carburettor, water heated manifold and 4HP more power
Engines after model year 1978 had three digit suffixes /701 and /705 replacing -01 and-05 types. So I think your engine is named 800-701 rather than 800-07 (which is also the case with two '78 engines I have here).
In 1983 Renault changed again type prefix on the Billancourt 845cc, naming it B1B until end of production in 1985.

Nice to find you here! Here is attached my placard, so you are right, but next question comes... As per MR 175 I noticed in some variation of Billancourt (with oil filter) used white metal bearings while in other variation without oil filter used aluminum-tin bearings. That means aluminum-tins were "stronger" aiming to use a more "dirty" oil or is related to oil pressure? I am concerned as my engine has no oil filter but I am intending to fit one. Is there any trick? My oil pressure on idle is 3.5-3.7 Bar cold or hot without filter.

20230216_175303.jpg

Reverse is true. White metal bearings are softer and they allow foreign matter to embed itself in the bearing material without causing any damage to crankshaft journals. With aluminum/tin - harder - bearings, any particles carried in the oil and finding their way between the bearing shells and journals, may stand proud of the bearing surface and damage the journals in no time.
Renault states that 800-01 engines were originally equipped with white metal bearings, hence no oil filter was fitted at the factory, while 800-02 and -05 engines had aluminium-tin bearings and a factory fitted oil filter. They also advised that, at first engine overhaul the blanking plate should be removed and an oil filter fitted, probably because only aluminium-tin bearings were available as spare parts.
It's a good practice to fit an oil filter anyway, and also not use modern detergent oils in these engines as they tend to flush away any grit or dirt - inevitably present in the engine - and carry it with the oil on bearing surfaces.

Hey Angel, re the 800-01 and the 800-05, did the camshaft change between them?

Yes, on the 800-01 camshaft timing is 10-34-49-11 , while on the -05 it's considerably hotter (16-52-52-22).

Yes, on the 800-01 camshaft timing is 10-34-49-11 , while on the -05 it's considerably hotter (16-52-52-22).
Just by curiosity, I have a 79 engine that came from a R6 (ill post the plaque later but its the one that comes with a Solex 32). Compared to a R5, does it have a better camshaft?

No, camshaft timing is the same as on the R4 800-05 engine, while on the R5 it's still "hotter" (20-56-53-23). Unfortunately, I have no data for valve lift, but you get an idea from timing figures.

Thanksvery much for the cam data Angel. I think I saw some valve lift data on a French site years ago, I might go looking and see what I can dig up.

Ah ha! (well, sort of...)
I found this site and in some ways it tallies up very well with the above and in others it just misses.
The table there lists all the Billancourt variations but lists Renault 6 without an 800 dash number, but it aligns with Angel's opening and closing numbers. Likewise the R5 800-10 numbers all align.
It also gives lift dimensions for admission (A o A) and exhaust (Ech being Echappement or exhaust) and relevant closing angles. All very well so far, the only problem is it shows the basic 800-01 numbers as being different to above, the durations are correct but the start points are all 4 degrees out.
Have a look Angel and see what you think...
Cheers
Piet

Sorry, I'm on a roll here. Just found the same site has the following page that goes through all the terminology (for 750/4cv/dauphine variations only) but you get the gist.
Going back to the other table, I think they have conflated the french 782cc and export 845cc version data, and called it 800-01. The cylinder diameter looks wrong.

Looking at the table, if seems that between the R5 and 6 the difference would be neglible to swap cams around. Sorry for hijacking the post and also thanks for the data @angel and @Piet

Back