Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bonnets

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi all. There are several grille types for the R4
There is the pressed out of the bonnet grille
There is the chrome oval with separate headlights, there is the chrome oval with integrated headlights and the off set Renault lozenge, and then there is the later plastic type.
Does any one know whether the bonnet for the early 70's chrome grilles with integrated headlights and round indicators is the same bonnet pressing as for the 60's bonnet with chrome grille and separate headlights.
I would like to see if I can fit separate headlights and the small chrome grille to a 72 car bonnet, or whether I have to get an original 60's bonnet. Thank you.

Hi Edwin
These photos might be useful - 72 minus the grille, and a 60s 4 with the small chrome grille.
The MR61 details several differences between pre- and post-68 bonnets.

• 20190726_084032.jpg
    20190726_084032.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PICT0045 (16).JPG
    PICT0045 (16).JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Andy. I can see exactly what you mean. Will the whole thing fit in the same hole, as it were or are they different shapes/sizes as well? Where the hell do you get a mk1 bonnet... I suppose long nights on leboncoin? Or one of the other french sites. And then there is delivery. I suppose if they do fit, I could get a trailer. Or piggy back it on Ronnies bonnet and bring it over...... Thanks again for your help.
I suppose bits could be welded into fill the gaps?

I know of people that welded the later bonnet to host the older grill, or even people that barbarianly just fit the grill carelessly of the empty corners...

Thanks Andy. I can see exactly what you mean. Will the whole thing fit in the same hole, as it were or are they different shapes/sizes as well? Where the hell do you get a mk1 bonnet... I suppose long nights on leboncoin? Or one of the other french sites. And then there is delivery. I suppose if they do fit, I could get a trailer. Or piggy back it on Ronnies bonnet and bring it over...... Thanks again for your help.
I suppose bits could be welded into fill the gaps?
Unfortunately it isn't just a matter of grille width, also the metal sheet under the headlights has a different shape so the earlier grill sits a little lower than the later types

So... It seems that I need to get a Mk 1 bonnet. The search commences. Thanks all of you for your help.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to any particular contact re obtaining a Mk 1 bonnet ?

Unfortunately it isn't just a matter of grille width, also the metal sheet under the headlights has a different shape so the earlier grill sits a little lower than the later types
Even when they do weld the earlier grille in, it looks completely wrong and deformed as the lights are lower.botchedbonnet.jpg

Back