Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake Backplates

Sage103

Gordon
Anyone recommend a source for rear brake backplates for my 86 GTL? (Girling brakes).

Good question! I'll have to consult Haynes.:cool:

Well I thought that mine's were Girling because the front are definitely Girling but now it's difficult to tell what they are - there is a hint of a flare but bits are missing due to rust (hence the need to find replacements). I think that I'll need to pull the hub off to be sure. Thanks for the help.

An update - it's definitely Girling backplates that are involved here. Unfortunately Renault UK no longer supply them - confirmed by Lifestyle Renault from where George Thomson retired over a year ago (ref. the link on the Parts page). Assuming that the search will now take me across the Channel could one of our French-resident enthusiasts confirm that the terminology in French is something along the lines of 'plaque arriere de freine'? Also be good if one of our Croatian friends could supply same in Croatian. :-)

It's very unusual to have Girling rear brakes fitted! However, you can buy the Bendix backplates and kit them out with Bendix cylinders and brake shoes!

One very rusty backplate - not nice.

The source of my problem. Beyond restoration. :(

• IMGP0230.jpg
    IMGP0230.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMGP0231.jpg
    IMGP0231.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 123
Just this one. The other is solid all round.

To Sage of Torphichen

That part of the back plate is just to keep dust and muck out. If the main part of the backplate is ok, ie where the brake shoes are mounted I would then just cut a neat patch and weld it. Even if it is just a temporary measure.
By the way my friend and I have been trying to contact you. Bison or Alan Pike has a TL and stays in Pumpherston and I have a 1975. TL as well as a 1968 TL.
I stay near Kinross but am actually building two houses in Torphichen.
I posted some photos a while back of an R4 graveyard not that far from Perth.
Fairly certain there were GTLs there, so if all else fails we could all go up and see if the owner would sell some parts. Not promising they are not rusted as well though.
Might be worth a visit anyway just to see if they are still there. Please give me a ring or text and we can meet up.
David Gray.

Can try to find out if there are some backplates for your TL here in Croatia.

That is the best i can offer for now!

An update and it's good news. While Renault UK no longer stock these backplates I managed to source some identical items from good old eBay, but intended for certain models of the Citroen AX, another petite French icon - I owned one a few years ago and now regret having sold it.

Thanks for all help and suggestions. And I'll be in touch, David.

David, I can see your houses from mine!

An update and it's good news. While Renault UK no longer stock these backplates I managed to source some identical items from good old eBay, but intended for certain models of the Citroen AX, another petite French icon - I owned one a few years ago and now regret having sold it.

Thanks for all help and suggestions. And I'll be in touch, David.

This is the sort of info that needs to be posted on the new wiki. There must be other makes of car that also share R4 stuff and any info re cross referencing is invaluable.

Thanks for this.

Back