Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

brake fluid

petak

Enthusiast
Hello to everyone!

I have one question that hope will get answer here.

I need to buy brake fluid for my Slovenian 1992 R4 GTL. Front disc brakes, hand brake on rear wheels

As my all brake parts are made by ATE i would like to buy ATE brake fluid to complete whole system.

ATE offers two DOT4 brake fluids.

First - for cars before 1990 - ATE SL
Second - for cars after 1990 - ATE SL.6

Both have same SAE number J1703-FMVSS 116/DOT4

Car is made after 1990 but i beleive that brake system is from 198x.

Which one to use?

Does anyone know difference between these two brake fluids?

Any recommendations?

Thank you all for reading!

http://www.ate-brakes.com/www/ate_d...brake-fluids/productinfo_brake-fluids_en.html

I have never heard of ATE brake fluid but after I read the above report, I think it is excellent.

It seems to me that the ATE SL.6 would be for cars with high performance braking systems, with ESP or ABS brakes. These are all electronic systems. I'm sure that the ATE SL would be fine for our cars. It's a Dot 4 fluid

The Heynes manual recommends Dot 3 but that might only be for drum brakes. Dot 4 also has a higher boiling point so that may be better for disc brakes

That's just my thoughts

Thank you for your comment and observations....

I did not realized that SL.6 is for cars with ABS and/or ESP.

Choice is obvious now..

ATE is common supplier fro brake parts here in Croatia beside TEXTAR, LUCAS, BREMBO and others....and to me (personal usage on other cars) is best choice.

SL.6 has someting to do with its thinner viscosity, so that it can circulate faster in all these narrow passages in the ABS pump. No real advantage on a Renault 4...

ATE have another brake fluid that might be of interest to us - Typ200. They claim that is isn't hydroscopic (or at least as hydroscopic as normal DOT4 is) so it should be a plus for extending brake cylinder life. I have been using it for some time, it is still early to tell you if it works or not.

Mounted an ate master cylinder a few days ago and learned to purge the circuit! Great satisfaction!

Thank you angel....i did not find that Typ200 here where i am......some "exotic" parts is really hard to get...even this ATE SL i had to wait for few days.

Back