Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake Leak

alewis

Enthusiast
My rear brake compensator has started leaking for a second time.

I used new pipes and everything but I guess it wont seal. (The compensator was damaged on removal the old fittings which sheared off0

Has anyone had experience with products like these ?

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail....tID=14&subCatID=&FrostCat=Brakes&FrostSubcat=

I don't like the idea of these, it seems a bit wrong using glue.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Many Thanks,
Andrew

You could probably buy a new brake compensator for not much more.

Did you make the brake pipes yourself or did you get them made? Just wondered if the correct flare was on the pipe before you fitted it. Usually the male fitting will use a single flare. The 'glue' you mentioned is used for precautionary measures, it's not a fix.

As steve says, or copper pipes only need a tad more than nipping up so maybe the end has a tear in if it was over tightened?

Try your local motor factors, these tend to be pretty standard parts, I and my friends in my local shop are always amazed at how much they can order in for the 4!

I bet Steve Hennessey could find the part number ;)

Try your local motor factors, these tend to be pretty standard parts, I and my friends in my local shop are always amazed at how much they can order in for the 4!

I bet Steve Hennessey could find the part number ;)

Oh, you must mean part number R77 01 348 257 :cool:

I doubt very much if a factor can source these now unless there is some old stock about or whether they are still being made. It's one of those parts that's well hidden and ends up covered in mud and forgotten about. However, I could be proven wrong. Needless to say I have a new one of these with all the 'kit' that surrounds it!!

I used copper nickle brake pipe. All the fittings on the car were just nipped up but the ones on the compensator started leaking so I did it up a bit more which stopped it leaking for a while but now its back again !

I'm going to have another look to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

In many ways I was amazed it sealed at all as the sealing surface got damaged when I removed the sheared off fitting.

I will leave it till the weekend to save messing around with it in the dark.

Hello
You can buy the part from Oscaro for 56 euros, but I don't know how much the delivery would be to UK. It costs 5 euros in France. The part is a Bendix.

Back