Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake light problem

R4Lesotho

Hello everybody. I would like to know how the brake light switch on the R4 is supposed to work. I am referring to the one on the end of the brake master cylinder. I have found that if I jump power to one side the lights turn on. Is this normal? How is it supposed to work? Thanks in advance.

If you touch both wires together and the brake lights come on then it points to the switch not working. Somebody else had the same problem not that long ago so if you do a search you may find some answers. However, it is worth removing the switch and you may see lots of muck in the passage. If you carefully clean this out with a needle and then use compressed air to remove all traces of the muck it is possible that the switch may work again.
If there is muck in the system then it's worth bleeding all the brakes and replenishing the fluid.

Thanks. Putting power to one wire on the switch caused the lights to come on while the other side was a dead short. Should one side be live?

Right - take both wires off the switch. Turn the ignition on and touch the two wires together. If the lights go on then it's a switch related problem. One of the wires should be live and the other neutral.

Back