Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake Master Cylinder

hottie643

Enthusiast
Hi, we a couple of renault 4 apprentices and have a current situation with a faulty master cylinder on our 1985 F6 Van. Does anybody have any advice on the best place to find such an item?

hottie 643

Hi hottie 643 - welcome to the forum

I've just replaced the master cylinder on one of our R4's and our local Renault dealer would have been able to get us one - the price quoted was £75 (+vat I think :eek: ) but in the end we got one off ebay for £27 + £6 postage :D .

I think, looking at the Haynes manual that the diameter of the van master cylinders is 22mm (the car's are 19mm), one of the more seasoned R4 owners (or F6 owners) will probably confirm, or deny, this.

Nice to see that there is yet another R4 in Yorkshire.

Chris

If your F6 has disc brakes then it's the same master cylinder as the R4 GTL. These are often on ebay. Your local motor factor should be able to get one much cheaper than the Renault part. You can use either Bendix or AP Lockheed as both are interchangable. Your faulty cylinder may be able to be overhauled so if the internals are not rusted then a motor factor could supply the kits. Failing that, a second-hand cylinder from a R5 Mk 1 will fit.

If as Steve says your F6 has the same master cylinder as the R4GTL the Renault part number (quoted for Ermintrude a 1984 GTL) is 7701 348 726 our original master cylinder has the number 311571 embossed on the side. In fact the replacement was for Blanche a 1990 LHD TL - it is now fitted and working (just a wheel cylinder to sort out now.

There is a R4 master cylinder available on ebay here - there is no photo but the part looked like the one in this PDF document.

Chris

Thanks for all the advice, we suspect that the cylinder on our van is 22mm not 19mm, however it is cold & wet up here in Yorkshire and investigations have been suspended for the night!
PS. If anyone has any bright ideas re a rear bumper we are all ears!

have you got the corner pieces? if so justweld a lump of scaffold pipe in the middle. that will be a lot stronger than Renault fitted. if no corners the perhaps an old Transit rear bumper can be modified, its a similar section but maybe a bit bigger. I am looking for some bits for my F6 , locking mechanism for the roof hatch and some rear lights, can you help?

Hi
Are you still looking for a master cylinder? If so, can you provide more details/photos?
Andy

hi i need one with 4 ports now. I just repaired mine and the res is leaking now, Any ideas anybody please?
simon

4 ports? That's one more than usual. What year of Renault 4 do you have? And where did it come from? I'm guessing your car has been modified to take a master cylinder from something else.

Normally there are 3 ports - one for each of the front brakes and one to the rear. The rear is single as it goes through a single proportioning valve to limit pressure on the rear brakes.

If you have a digital camera it could be worth posting a photo of the master cylininder. Also can you trace where the 4 pipes go? I'm guessing one to each of the front brakes, and the other two joining 2 into 1 to go to the rear. Anything else might be nasty and a bit unsafe.

hi simon , (and everyone else )
my yellow peril has a 4 pipe setup r2109 1978 so some cars definitly had dual circuit brakes with a pressure return line (fun bleeding system) normally had red warning light switch on old style dash
have got PR900 renault parts book here showing at least 5 different cylinders listed for various R4 but no pics detailing 3 or 4 pipes

post more details on car and i can supply original part number which may help with search
once again maybe contacting lifestyle renault with oval plate may produce results but could be obselete ?

ebay sometimes comes up trumps on old stock especially if you search ebay shops but dont buy without a pic

good luck --- paul

Back