Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Breakdown cover

Elwood

Enthusiast
At the weekend I discovered that the AA no longer cover older cars.
Which would've been their bread and butter a few years ago.
Who would you fellas recommend please?
My insurer has offered cover for £100

I’ve got a multi car policy with NFU Mutual. Basic get me home breakdown cover (through the RAC) for my R4 costs £17.71 whereas breakdown cover plus home assist for my LR Discovery Sport costs £29.40.

Having always had agreed value classic insurance on all my older cars for the last 26 years, UK & EU breakdown cover has been included. I've used it twice and it's been very good.
On my Subaru Forester (too young for a classic policy) I had RAC cover and needed it when the radiator blew last year, 104 miles from home. They were appalling. In total it took 27.5 hours from we broke down (25.5 hours from when they agreed that we needed to be recovered home) until they actually got us home. 8 hours to take us 40 miles and leave us stranded in a lorry park at 9pm, where they had told us another truck would be ready to take us the rest of the way. It wasn't. Over the next 5 hours they repeatedly told us that our situation had been "escalated" to "another team" and to expect a phonecall/a truck/a taxi/etc "within 45 mins".
We gave up at 2am and found a hotel, being promised that a truck would be there at 7am. It finally arrived at 1pm and got us home at 4.30pm.
Then when I complained, I found out that their customer service is even worse than their recovery service.
Before anyone thinks of signing up to the RAC, I suggest you have a quick look at the Facebook group " RAC how bad are they", where you'll find that we were quite lucky with our experience.

it is Nothing but SAD to hear your experience with RAC/AA as in my book Old Blighty have for years been a lightning beacon when it comes to All classic cars/bikes. -If a member; Work up a Justified anger and send them a message -If they don't want your 4L-business tell them to stop your
membership on you modern car too -TODAY! -I saw the same Shitty behaviour when in Scotland and had to wait for 7hrs. for
recovery from a dark narrow bend...-Reid

Having always had agreed value classic insurance on all my older cars for the last 26 years, UK & EU breakdown cover has been included. I've used it twice and it's been very good.
On my Subaru Forester (too young for a classic policy) I had RAC cover and needed it when the radiator blew last year, 104 miles from home. They were appalling. In total it took 27.5 hours from we broke down (25.5 hours from when they agreed that we needed to be recovered home) until they actually got us home. 8 hours to take us 40 miles and leave us stranded in a lorry park at 9pm, where they had told us another truck would be ready to take us the rest of the way. It wasn't. Over the next 5 hours they repeatedly told us that our situation had been "escalated" to "another team" and to expect a phonecall/a truck/a taxi/etc "within 45 mins".
We gave up at 2am and found a hotel, being promised that a truck would be there at 7am. It finally arrived at 1pm and got us home at 4.30pm.
Then when I complained, I found out that their customer service is even worse than their recovery service.
Before anyone thinks of signing up to the RAC, I suggest you have a quick look at the Facebook group " RAC how bad are they", where you'll find that we were quite lucky with our experience.
I have to admit that I’ve never had to experience the RAC service - I‘ve a couple of breakdowns with Land Rovers but fairly local so responses were fine - but I will shop around on my next renewal date.

Shame on the RAC that's terrible. When at the side of the road you want someone to answer the phone and simply send a patrolman. No listening to advice about getting out of the road or their privacy policy. Pressing loads of options, in a few words tell them what you want, telling them what ethnicity you are etc etc etc.
Anyway a little update.
My pal (AA veteran of 30 years) was adamant the call handler was wrong and I am covered. Turns out I was all along. I was declined the call out due to my MOT having expired.
It was a simple fix, loose HT lead. And I am now back on the road fully covered on the multi policy. Happy days

Back