Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bulkhead brake pipe routing problem

This is a late chassis! Holes on the front floor toeboard and handbrake lever bracket confirm this, too. I think it matches the body - the whole car in fact.

This is a late chassis! Holes on the front floor toeboard and handbrake lever bracket confirm this, too. I think it matches the body - the whole car in fact.
Thanks Angelos ! Strange that it is registered it as a 1978 R4 TL 845cc, although it is a post 1983 1108cc car with matching engine/body numbers ? Maybe they made a mistake when it was first registered here ?

Nothing strange. A RHD TL is bought new in 1978 and registered. Then at some point of its life it gets knackered, rotten beyond repair or crashed. Owner finds a good GTL imported from France, without papers, transfers the body plate and cuts and welds the chassis number on the GTL, then registers an engine swap on the TL - hence the matching engine number, and voila! Second life ;-) .

Nothing strange. A RHD TL is bought new in 1978 and registered. Then at some point of its life it gets knackered, rotten beyond repair or crashed. Owner finds a good GTL imported from France, without papers, transfers the body plate and cuts and welds the chassis number on the GTL, then registers an engine swap on the TL - hence the matching engine number, and voila! Second life ;-) .
Nothing strange, but I think in the UK this used to be called ‘ringing’ !

Yes true, or it could have come from over from the Occupied area Turkish side of Cyprus ?

Wait, I asked you for a photo because I suspect that chassis number only may had been transferred on a later chassis. Front torsion bar anchor points will tell us the truth.
Also I see you have internal door hinges and small tailgate hinges, so whole bodyshell is post-83.
I had already suspected this when I replied to his original idea of changing the dashboard and I said it will a later car and it is virtually impossible to fit the early dashboard to without serious work including switches steering column and wiring I did mention by private messaging the same suspicions that I had but thought it wise not to mention in public

I had already suspected this when I replied to his original idea of changing the dashboard and I said it will a later car and it is virtually impossible to fit the early dashboard to without serious work including switches steering column and wiring I did mention by private messaging the same suspicions that I had but thought it wise not to mention in public
Yes, I was very surprised with the work and parts involved changing over to the early dashboard, after speaking to Angelos.

Back