Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bumpers Interchangeable?

Allumette

Hello! I have a 1992 GTL with the gray painted bumpers. I would like to replace them with chrome bumpers…
Does anyone know if there were ever any changes to the shape of the car or bumpers over the different year’s models?
Or are they all the same and interchangeable?
The chrome bumpers I’m finding online don’t specific for which model they are.
I just don’t want to spend all that money and then have them arrive and not fit (or not mount properly or in the right place) because they were made for a different year.
Thanks so much!

Also, what is the purpose of those iron loops above the bumpers on the newer cars?

They are interchangeable, in fact it's always the same bumper with different surface finish.

Also, what is the purpose of those iron loops above the bumpers on the newer cars?
In fact, primarily by design it is a tubular reinforcement cone for the front fender and the secondary design idea is that of a parking aid.
Nicknamed a "tonker" as for the distinctive sound "tonk" when you drive into something, very handy when you want to park in Paris. :D
They are also available in chrome.

Ironically, these "handles" were never fitted to French market R4s during the '60s and '70s. They were reserved for "poor road" and "special" equipment cars.

Back