Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Buying and obtaining spare parts

Steve Hennessey

Reading through this forum and browsing around other Renault 4 web sites, I've noticed that people ask "Where can I get....."? Eg a side/indicator lamp, front wing, exhaust, etc etc.

While there are obvious advantages to buying good second-hand parts, there are many parts that can still be obtained through Renault and other good motor factors.

I wondered whether it was possible for this forum to have a list of where people could buy that hard to obtain spare, or the name of a friendly Renault dealer who has lots of new old stock.

Just a thought.

Steve

Than's an excellent idea. It would be good if the parts were in the form of a structured list including a rough price and contact details of the seller. People could add new bits and pieces to the appropriate section as they find them. There is a lot of information already on this site and the forum, just it's spread out so impossible to find.

I'll have a look around the interweb to see if there is any software for this sort of thing. Otherwise I should be able to knock some together.

Renault does still support Renault 4s well, and the quality of their parts tends to be higher than aftermarket parts - particularly for wings.

Hi

I could certainly recommend George Thompson at Whitehouse Renault of Tunbridge Wells, Telephone: 01892 524655 (Direct Line Parts Dept.)

If they do not have or cannot get a Renault 4 part, then it has probably never existed. They even managed to source me a used black front grille that was almost new.

George Thomson is exceptionally knowledgeable and knows Renault 4's inside out. I've recently completed restoring my 1984 R4 to virtually as new and Whitehouse supplied all the parts, gave excellent discounts and back-ordered obscure bits and pieces from France.

All the best

Chris :-)

Agreed about Whitehouse, they are excellent! It's cheaper for me to buy parts from them and pay the courier cost than it is to buy parts from my local dealer.

I absolutely have to agree about Whitehouse! They're excellent. And bouquets to Renault generally for still supporting the 4. It would be interesting to know how many still exist in some form or other around the world.....anyone prepared to hazard a guess? When I was over there a couple of years ago I found Wests of Cambridge extremely good and knowledgable about R4s, though not as cheap as Whitehouse. Now that Renault has re-entered the Australian market they air freight in any part from France as long as its findable in their Dialogys system. This results in the rather bizarre situation where it is now heaps easier for me to get new 4 parts (when they are available) than people can get parts for models like 16's, 12's, 20's etc which are still fairly common. There are also a few independant importers like Caravelle who are excellent at supplying engine parts etc.

But.... Renault owners in Australia tend to be a mob of cheap bastards. They'll go to extreme lengths to replace a worn-out part with an equally worn out part from a wreck. Partly thats due to Renault as an organisation disappearing here for a number of years, which in itself was partly due to french nuclear testing. The main Renault demographic in the seventies and eighties happened to be the people most likely to foam at the mouth about the testing (not that I'd blame them, but it never stopped them from buying American or British cars and they are hardly lily-white).
Cheers

I just returned from my local Renault dealer in Clapham (Wests of Bedford) - they are aggressively unhelpful for older Renaults (I was after a gearbox mount for a Renault 5 which is still a new car in my book).

Phoned up Whitehouse Renault for the part instead - they were really friendly and helpful. They've ordered the part from France and are going to post it to me.

:clementi: :clementi: :clementi: :clementi: :clementi:
(Full 5 Clementine rating for Whitehouse)

Maybe a complaint is in order to West's senior management. They have absolutely no right to be aggressive to a customer - your money is the same whether you're buying a part for an older car or a newer model. I'm just glad that I don't get treated this way when I go to West's of Cambridge. After being treated in this way, would you go to them and buy a new Renault? They don't think about that side of it, do they?

I'm glad that Whitehouse have served you well, but it's a shame that you couldn't have had equal service from a dealership who's on your doorstep.

Steve

I can't be bothered to complain - I'm British!

I also ordered some parts from Aston Martin today - for a 26 year old car. They have a "car for life" philosophy and support their cars very well. They really have cracked the making the customer feel good thing - they said they'll get on with hand crafting the necessary bits straight away and I can pick them up next week.

I've e-mailed with Renault HQ in France in the past - they are lovely people - they are committed to their history. It's such a shame that the customer face in the UK is so arsey. Except for Whitehouse who were a lot like Aston Martin in their approach.

If anyone from Bedford is planning to order a new Renault please order it from Whitehouse. I'll give you a lift down there to pick it up.

"I could certainly recommend George Thompson at Whitehouse Renault of Tunbridge Wells, Telephone: 01892 524655 (Direct Line Parts Dept.)" ...from old post.
Does anyone have up to date news/ comment of this dealer? I notice they are Lifestyle Renault now!

Thanks.

Mark

Recently I have sent an inquiry to the local Renault dealer looking for their offer for list of parts that i need to rebuild my R4.
I thought that they will give me prices just for few parts.
But, they gave me prices for whole list.

Renault still has 90% parts for R4.
Their prices are little bit "heavy" but if there is no other solution you can get part.

Renault is first stop when I look for some part. If nothing else, to get price info. Not to overpay some replacement part

Trish B. from Zimbabwe here.
Struggling to find two new shock absorbers for my 1974 R4
Will try Whitehouse Renault of Tunbridge Wells
Hope that helps. Suggestions welcome!
R4's are found all over N. Africa and other ex French colonies in Africa. Very few now
in Zim

Back