Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cables overheat in the car`s pannel switch

Fidias

Enthusiast
Hi, first of all sorry for my bad english.. im from chile..

I´ve been having some electrical problems with my renault 4 that im restoring... but the one that il like to discuss this time is an overheat in the swith pannel.. when i put the High-lights (turns on 2 bulbs of 100 watts) the conector that conects the cable with the switch starts to get really hot.. i dont have any bad connected cables.. im very orginized in that way.. because im bassing my connection in a layout that i have that is going verry well... exept of course oif this issue..

im thinkin that i migt have to change the cables for a thiker one but again the heat is in the conection.. any ideas ?.. thaks all

100 watt bulbs!!!!!! That's the problem as the wiring was not designed to handle this wattage - you are lucky that you did not have a small fire! You need to put the correct bulbs in and your problem will be solved.

If you want to use higher wattage bulbs then to need to incorporate a relay in the wiring.

thanks steve

Thanks man for the fast reply!, ok im gonna read how to wire a relay and tell you the results... the thing is that in cant make the head lights get a strong light. its verry low and i didnt pass the light test in the technical review.. any ideas with that?... thanks again

Brighter lights

If you faied a test on the brightness of standard globes I would suggest that you check the earth or ground connections for the lights. Make sure they are clean by using a file or sand-paper.

Good luck.

David

Solved

100 watt bulbs!!!!!! That's the problem as the wiring was not designed to handle this wattage - you are lucky that you did not have a small fire! You need to put the correct bulbs in and your problem will be solved.

If you want to use higher wattage bulbs then to need to incorporate a relay in the wiring.

Problem soved with a 4 pin relay ..thank`s alot steve!

If you faied a test on the brightness of standard globes I would suggest that you check the earth or ground connections for the lights. Make sure they are clean by using a file or sand-paper.

ok gonna try claening up the earth connections.. thanks david.. ill tell u how it went later xmas.. marry chrismas to bouth of you

ok so problem solved.. got the relay and it work perfect.. no overtheating.. and cleaning the earth help alot to.. soo thanks steve and dave for the help =) !

Back