Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Calm before the storm...

daviddb

Enthusiast
Hello all,
Having lurked in a quiet and decorous fashion for some time now thought I'd better say hello *before* needing to trouble you with questions various.

Some acquaintances were moving out of the area earlier in the year and there was their R4 and, well, it was just too easy and would have been silly to say no. Wouldn't it.......

Like we need another car like a hole in the whatsit but it was a pretty as a picture in it's Gendarme Blue, tidy in the sense of the curate's egg and so it’s moved in to join the MobyletteAV48 (62) DS21(67), the Ami 8(71), and the Acadiane(83). Which is not to claim any expertise – a techno pup I ain’t.

We've used it all summer now and clocked up 1500 or so kms with just an oil change. Local journeys only but it starts, goes and stops in an orderly fashion. It’s an 1120 model with engine type 680-02 ( 747cc presumably?) that was first registered on 15th May 1968. 20,000 kms on the clock which I guess translates as 120,000. Six volts only, apparently no oil filter and no fuse box either both of which are a bit “eek!”

The electrics will need looking at in due course – a couple of bedside light type switches hanging down under the dash for this and that, the ignition key needs a bit of ‘teasing’ to turn and those fancypants spotlights have, er, 12 volt bulbs in them.

First things first though has been stripping out the carpeting and applying some anti-rust measures for the winter ( sleety snow and blowing a hughie as I speak here at 3000 feet in the Pyrenees.) inside and out. And I do mean carpeting as the interior is liberally covered with Huega carpet tiles self tapped onto every surface. Least it’s quality carpet tiling, their ‘Flair’ range in powder blue with a 58% polyamid, 22% animal hair 17% rayon mix. Perhaps the missing 3% is for the self taps.....

First impressions? Well it’s a sold beast compared to the two small Citroens, proper metal and the like, I mean that tailgate weighs a faffing tonne. Bit slower than the Citroen’s as well but a smoother and torquier feel to the motor counterbalanced by a lumpier ride. But I think we’re well and truly hooked which is a bit scary......

More as it happens and I’ll throw a couple of pictures on in a jiff.

Regards

David

• Renault R4 i.jpg
    Renault R4 i.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 84
  • dity man grit blasts quatrelle.jpg
    dity man grit blasts quatrelle.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 84
  • QF rear floor pan b.jpg
    QF rear floor pan b.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 84
  • what in tarnation is that.jpg