Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Can you spot the Difference?

pepper

Pepper The One and Only!
I've been so busy these past few months that time has just flown by and I'm so regretting not being able to get all the jobs done that I needed doing before the Autumn rains set in!

Well today I finally managed to get a day spare so I dragged the grille out of the garage where it had sat since I bought it 18 months ago, took it up the workshop made the little brackets to fit it onto BB, then cleaned it all up and fixed her up.

Before, with my Old Meg dog

picture.php

After

picture.php

Yeah yeah, I know changing things around isn't every ones cup of tea, but I've kept all the bits I need to put her back again if needs be.

You never know I may want to restore her to her former Police glory days one day ;)

I think it looks great Pepper and who cares if its not original. Fifi has chrome mirrors because I couldnt get a genuine one for the passenger side door so I bought two new matching black plastic ones which were useless, then I decided it looked better with chrome ones which it does. May try the chrome grill next and some chrome door handles.There is a place here in France that sells all the old Police and Fire service 4s,complete with blue lights, they had a 6 wheeler and some really scruffy simpars when I was there along with lots of F4s and F6s in various states of disrepair. Its where Fifi came from having been a car owned by the Mayor of Orleans although I think it more likely one of his council minions company car.

Thanks, Kevin and Kate, never sure which of you is replying ;)

The Chrome grille fits well you just need to make a set of fittings to get it altogether!

I used small nuts and bolts with big washers, about two pence piece sized which I welded onto the bolts so I could put them through the grille and it would hold them altogether whilst I fitted the nuts on the back.

I used some free galvanised mesh which I had lying around as I'd been to look in Halfords for some nice mesh, but the Billy Boy stuff in there was nearly £40 a sheet!

I shall look out for some nicer mesh later on.

I used a similar technique for fitting the grill to Claude - but without the benefit of welding the washers on - it was a bit fiddly. The car was bought with the chrome grill with the mesh already attached.

Claude's claim to fame is that she was originally owned by the British embassy in Cameroon and is probably African spec - with heavy duty sump guard, petrol tank guard and a cyclone pre filter.

• 0035c.jpg
    0035c.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 334
Hi Matt, they are yellow Halogen bulbs and are available from all good French supermarkets!

Sign up to come on the French run with us next year and we'll make sure you get some! :)

Claude the van looks very good indeed! I love the chrome bumper too!

Cheers, I've been to France 4 times this year, twice in the R4, I should have looked in the other other supermarket aisles rather than just the alcohol and cheese sections!

Whats the French run next year!? Whereabouts and when?

cute look on BB

Cheers, I've been to France 4 times this year, twice in the R4, I should have looked in the other other supermarket aisles rather than just the alcohol and cheese sections!

Whats the French run next year!? Whereabouts and when?

Here's some details, nothings finalised yet, but as its the 50th anniversary it should be a pretty good time.

Thanks everyone, having chrome wing mirrors would be the next step, then bumpers, then ... Where does it stop? Do I change the bonnet to get the earlier indicators to fit?

Nah I'm happy with the overall effect of just the grille!

Oh and with mention of the headlights, I didn't realise until my MOt this year that you can only have yellow headlights for the MOT if your actual headlights are yellow. I had to quickly swap to a set of clear bulbs to pass...

I think it's very difficult to find an old bonnet, on Le Bon Coin or others websites I've never old bonnets.

Concerning the mirrors this year I'm part of the 4L R6 Club de France, and I have the opportunity to buy nice parts... The club sell these days new chrome plated mirrors :D :D
Rétros.jpg

I'm going to buy a pair of these for my 1977 TL, if you're interested, maybe I could buy 2 other ones for your car...

I loved it too, but my friend who owned it decided to sell it, it was in wonderful original condition and drove superbly! He still has 2 others but they aren't a patch on that one in my opinion!

Back