Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Changing fuse box

Alfonso

Enthusiast
Hi there! I don't know if some of you have been having this problem, but in my Renault 4 my fuses keep melting and jumping off while using the car (I haven't been able to find a better supplier of these old fuses for a decent price here in Spain) and I can't help but ask myself, is it possible to change the whole fuse box to a more modern one so I can find decent fuses everywhere and not have them melt over a day of use? I can't seem to find anything online on the subject. Many thanks!!

Does same fuse burn out all the time or everytime different one.

Your problem is somewhere else. Not fuse box.

Somewhere you have short circuit.
Find it.

Hi Petak, thanks for your reply. It's not always necessarily the same fuse. The problem started when I bought a box of cheap fuses, the plastic sort of melts, shortens the fuse and it pops off. The metal strip stays intact however. I'm not entirely sure it's a problem with the circuit, but I will keep an eye on it. Regardless, does anyone know if you can easily 'upgrade' to a new box, or is there a reason I should want to keep the old type of fuses?

Such fuse boxes are available at auto electric parts shops here, guess the same goes for your country:

Hi Petak, thanks for your reply. It's not always necessarily the same fuse. The problem started when I bought a box of cheap fuses, the plastic sort of melts, shortens the fuse and it pops off. The metal strip stays intact however. I'm not entirely sure it's a problem with the circuit, but I will keep an eye on it. Regardless, does anyone know if you can easily 'upgrade' to a new box, or is there a reason I should want to keep the old type of fuses?
(Wearing my auto-electrician's hat...) You need to find out the nature of the problem before fitting a new fuse box, as without finding the reason why the fuse is playing up you'll be in the same boat later! Your description of the plastic melting, but not the metal is strange....

(Wearing my auto-electrician's hat...) You need to find out the nature of the problem before fitting a new fuse box, as without finding the reason why the fuse is playing up you'll be in the same boat later! Your description of the plastic melting, but not the metal is strange....
That is a good idea. I will certainly keep an eye on it and as soon as it happens again I will try to find the issue. Thanks to all the users that replied!

If the problem has worsened after buying the fuses that seen to be melting the plastic could it be that the fuses themselves are the problem, some old good fuses from a breakers yard, or good quality new ones I think would be an easier/cheaper way to go before jumping in and changing fuse box.
Leonardo.IT on here printed a ‘replica’ fuse box identical to original but designed it with the newer blade type fuse, think its in his project thread on forum.

Would you be able to post pictures of the fuses, in order that we might have a better idea as to the type of fuse? Old-style ceramic fuses were rated at 5, 8, 16 and 25 amps, and the new plastic ones are normally in 2 sizes; small and very small ones. Their amperages are numerous.

Without wishing to state the blindingly obvious, a ceramic part of a ceramic fuse would not melt, no matter how much current was put through it (within reason!) but a plastic-coated fuse might melt if the fuse itself doesn't blow quickly enough. Something tells me these new fuses you have bought are not all they're cracked up to be.....

If the problem has worsened after buying the fuses that seen to be melting the plastic could it be that the fuses themselves are the problem, some old good fuses from a breakers yard, or good quality new ones I think would be an easier/cheaper way to go before jumping in and changing fuse box.
Leonardo.IT on here printed a ‘replica’ fuse box identical to original but designed it with the newer blade type fuse, think its in his project thread on forum.
Thanks for the info laxeian! I want to change the fuse box not only because the fuses are melting but also because now that I am thinking of redoing most of the electrical system it doesn't make much sense to have old fuses since they are much harder to find (and with time this issue will only become worse). Do you know of a good place to buy good old ones online?
Would you be able to post pictures of the fuses, in order that we might have a better idea as to the type of fuse? Old-style ceramic fuses were rated at 5, 8, 16 and 25 amps, and the new plastic ones are normally in 2 sizes; small and very small ones. Their amperages are numerous.

Without wishing to state the blindingly obvious, a ceramic part of a ceramic fuse would not melt, no matter how much current was put through it (within reason!) but a plastic-coated fuse might melt if the fuse itself doesn't blow quickly enough. Something tells me these new fuses you have bought are not all they're cracked up to be.....
Here are the fuses. Can you replace the plastic ones with the ceramic ones, or do they require a different type of fuse box? Thanks!

photo_2021-12-29_21-04-15.jpg

I use plastic fuse like yours in my fuse box and do not have plastic melting problem.

The fuses should be dimensionally identical and ought to fit in the same way as the original ceramic ones. If the plastic fuse body melts there's something seriously wrong somewhere and I should want to know why they've melted before fitting any more of them.

Edited after thinking some more: Take a plastic fuse from your box, note the rating and connect an electrical circuit that would pass more than the rated amperage through the fuse. Before switching on, ensure the fuse is resting on a non-flammable and non-conducting surface. As an example, if the fuse is a 8 amp one, two main beam bulbs at 60 watts each, would draw 10 amps (as 60 x2=120 watts, which divided by 12 volts gives 10 amps) so the fuse should blow. If it doesn't blow, the fuse is at best useless and at worse, DANGEROUS and should be binned!

Happy to offer more advice if needed.

Sorry don't have any links for old fuse.
Re-reading thread, if more than one fuse is melting when using, could it be that you have a bad main earth somewhere, this would put a higher load on all circuits when used.(just if everything is playing up to some extent its the only common thing to all )

I'm lucky enough to be equipped on my car with one of Leonardo's replicas and they work damn well, and look perfectly the same as the original. Straight forward swap.
I would like to go for a substitute such as the ones @angel suggested even for my older cars, the only problem is that often more than one wire is linked to the same fuse, and those boxes are provided with just one connection (one in and on out, to be precise).

Back