Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Changing headlight lenses.

harbourseal

Renault R4 Lunatic
I bought some new yellow headlights lenses the other day.

And today I swapped the white lenses for the yellow ones.

This might come in handy if some of you want to change a lens or a mirror if one of the two is broken.

Start with cutting away the visible glue around the glass. DB93830F-D5C8-416E-B3B7-CF9C49DBA7C9.jpegIf that is done, take an electric paint stripper and warm the backside of the mirror. It took me about 3 minutes. Then lay the lamp down on the glass and put the handle of a screwdriver down the hole where the bulb sits an push down on the glass and with the other hand pull up the mirror.

The lens should come away cleanly now. 3D6B1358-DB0A-464C-A1FF-8DFF702B11C9.jpeg829295CC-9362-40AC-A286-4BCC0E3F6D5C.jpeg With both the parts separated you have to cut away the leftover glue.

It is easier when you warm it up again with the paint stripper.

Once you have treated the edge of the mirror with a rust transformer. I used the Rudtico gel. Clean up the edge where the new glass sits.

And put in some glue.

Not to worry about the placement of the glass. There is a small notch on the top side of the rim. And an indentation on the new glass. 272E2996-746A-4A34-9B7B-ABC9DC5C6274.jpegFC490242-2444-415A-8E75-F25960D52D76.jpeg
If you have lined the notch and the indentation up. Push both the parts together.
And this is the end result. 58E33CAA-3706-499E-89CF-414A879EDAAF.jpeg

Great tip....
I used thinner to dissolve old glue.
It took 24 hours for thinner to do the job

What glue did you use to connect glass back to mirror?

One addition to this proces put the lens in place and apply glue in the rim as in filing the space in between the glass and rim of the lens.

Nice work! I just bought two perfect Marshall replacement lights (complete) for 20 £. I really like my suppliers discounts :D

I use white seam sealer, the thick type that is applied with a gun.

I would have the mirror rechromed (or better still silver plated), rather than painting it. It's not that expensive and makes great difference in light beam pattern and brightness.

Back