Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Chugging Renault 5

Greeney in France

Bloody nice bloke actualy
Is there any reason like with the R4s running quirks that the R5 series2 I have should chug :roll:It is the super5 TL with the 1108 C1E engine
generally its ok but if I want to put my foot down it coughs and holds back but better if I change down I did put 95unleaded in it and it seemed ok before this, is it because of this? Does it need 98 with lead remplacement?
Thank you

Sounds like it needs the vacuum leak sorting out to me - check for perished air hoses around the carb. Failing that points, timing and vacuum advance might be worth a look. Only other thing on the 5 is the throttle pump which might cause a little hesitation just after sudden throttle if the seals have gone.

hi mr greeney
think it will be accelerator pump problem if it is zenith linkage either falls off or will be seized /sticky
or maybe the u bend on pump jet will be blocked
long nose pl;iers and pull it out without stripping carb if you are lazy /worried about gasket on float chamber

can i order large beret - my crash helmet says 63 (cm?)

may need chinstrap if i wear it in my yellow R4 end of May

your trying to give me more typing practice arent you greeney ?
presuming the obvious ie the dwell angle is set correctly and the timing is correct
it is possible that the cartier electronic box is faulty
some have an extra connector plug socket that allow you to bypass it by changing wiring over so you are no longer transistor assisted
have a look in hand book as may tell you more
then re check dwell timing etc
pm to follow
paul

hi greeney
you havent confirmed to us all that dwell etc is all ok or that you can see petrol squirting down carb when you open throttle with engine off

if you unplug cartier unit i think you will still have 12 v ignition feed to coil
if not run 12v to + on coil and connect points wire to - on coil

you may have numbers instead though so have alook at a R4 instead to get the idea
it was common for me to do this as box was £80

points wont last as long though (especially nasty pattern types which are all that you can get now )
au revoir for now -- paul

Right here is the news....
I have stripped carb down and it is fine fuel squirting down etc, it is a solex by the way not a zenith.
There is a little paddle lever with rubber on the end that has a spring but doesnt seem to do anything even with the accelerator open or closed? I can push the snib to open it manually what is this for?
I checked points timing and dwell all ok, it still chokes on low down revs though so thinking it may be the vacuum I pulled pipe off and sucked vigourously the vacuum moves the points forward ok but the weights do not move at all could this be it?
What do you mean nasty pattern type points I bought valeo for it?
I havent tried bypassing the cartier box yet
Thank you

Back