Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clanking sound

iMacThere4iAm

Tom Long
I've recently noticed an odd metal clanking or clattering sound that I can't trace the source of - it happens mostly if I let up the clutch jerkily, and sounds as if some large metal part is not quite bolted on right :eek: or as if there's a linkage in the transmission with a lot of play :confused:
I can't see or feel anything loose but I'm terrified my gearbox is going to drop onto the road or something!
Any ideas where I should be looking?

I don't know if it's relevant, but I just removed the extra protective plate bolted under the engine by the previous owners - It was attached to the front of the cross-member and went back as far as the floor pan with bolts onto the chassis.

Is the exhaust touching the inner wing?

I was wondering why the previous owner had fitted an extra plate, as the original one is quite adequate for the job.

Mike, I think you're on the right track - the joint just after the silencer seems to have come loose. I'll sort that out and see if it stops clanking.

Cornish4, the extra plate was fitted to take her off-roading, as I plan to do myself.

Steve, I hope not as I'm driving back from France on sunday! I'll give them a thorough check later. But like I said, I think Mike's right and it's the exhaust.

No luck with the exhaust - clamping up the loose joint didn't help stop the clattering noise.

The engine mounts look okay too, I tried locking the wheels and lifting the clutch and the engine hardly budged. There was no noise while doing that either - apparently it only seems to happen when moving.

Almost always the clonking is the exhaust touching the hole in the inner wing as it goes through. Run some masking tape around the edge of the hole, make it clonk, then remove the tape to see where in the hole it is touching.

It that is the problem then try adjusting the exhaust fit. If that doesn't work then check the gearbox mount.

I've seen a bent engine mount brace (the arm over the starter motor) cause a clonking like this, it's a faff to change mind, I ended up with two jacks, one holding the engine up and one pushing it away from the wing with the gearbox mount loosened. Which engine is it? I may be able to help you source one.

If its not the exhaust or front gearbox mount, how about a wish bone or front tie rod bush? You saw its been used off road? has it damaged any of the front drive system?

Try to find the noise for us. Does it clonk on acceleration or de-celeration, both? Cornering? Braking?

Is it a wrattle or a thud?

I've been thinking about yesterday and i'm inclined to agree with Mike's suggestion that it might be the tie rod bushes at the front, i had this problem with a Pegeuot many years ago and it took me ages to find out the problem, worth a look though.

Back