Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Classic Car Weekly.

Cornish4

Le Dazzleur
There is an article in today's Classic Car Weekly on the 4L. Lovely pale green LHD GTL for the photo-shoot, taken at Thenay I reckon out on the race-track. The writer had trouble with the gear-change by the sound of it, and he said that the 4 wasn't designed for long-distance cruising, rubbish I hear you all say. Still nice to see a feature on the 4L on this special day though, which he also mentions.:smile:

Long-distance cruising! The gearing on my 4 is way way higher than my friends Morris Minors, it's a much more leisurely drive in the 4 compared to the Moggie!

Long-distance cruising! The gearing on my 4 is way way higher than my friends Morris Minors, it's a much more leisurely drive in the 4 compared to the Moggie!

Hi Richard, that reminds me of a lovely 68 Mini Cooper I had, engine revving like mad at 70mph, and the ride? well enough said. Whereas the 4 is as we all know a joy to travel in.:smile:

Renault would surely have added at least a little soundproofing if they had been seriously targeting the 4L at the GT continental cruising market, so it doesn't seem an unfair comment to those of us who do soundproofing as a profession. The Mini and 2CV weren't really intended for long distance cruising either but both can manage it if you drive them far enough.

The R4 has many things right but suffered from market positioning in the soundproofing department. Both the R5 and R6 had bulkhead sound proofing and less restrictive carburettors which made them even more comfortable and useable on longer trips, but or the full deal the marketing department really wanted you to buy a R16 if you wanted to drive across Europe.

Not so much engine noise as wind noise Malcolm, but then it's probably the stuff on Marigolds' roof causing that. But for driving comfort (seating etc) the 4 is great. So many modern cars have such hard seats, I know it's probably to do with safety standards, or is it to make you stop more often for a break?:smile:

Seats and suspension seem to have become horribly hard on modern cars. My theory is the motoring press like to blat around on their test drives and they give better write ups if the car seems "sporty".

My Clio diesel is awfully sporty and can go around corners much faster than I ever need to. I much prefer driving the Renault 4. :D The R4 is stable and no effort on motorways too. Worst part was engine noise on mine - dip the clutch when cruising and it gets much nicer than you would expect. Wind noise is still work in progress.

I think your theory is about right Malcolm, and I reckon I can live with the 4Ls Gaelic charm, don't want it too refined, it's all part of the cars' charm.:D

There is a 16 in this collection of Renaults in Pontchardon (South of Lisieux, France) that we saw coming back from a two-week camping trip in our 4.

• various_renaults.jpg
    various_renaults.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 100
  • various_renaults2.jpeg
    various_renaults2.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 100
  • spot_the_4.jpeg
    spot_the_4.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 99
Back