Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clementine has a brand new car!

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I have been weak. I think I may have turned to the dark side of the force.

My sister wanted a car with more seatbelts for her next visit - the front only seat belts in Ermintrude will only accommodate one child and there's another one due. It seemed a lot easier just to buy a car that had more seatbelts.

clio.jpg

I'll probably get bored of the thing but it's fun at the moment - goes around corners quite well and it's one of those eco diesel things with incredible mpg. Might also be a bit quieter on motorways than a R4.

We were in a similar situation, a R4 Van with no rear doors was awkward for getting our grand-daughter into and out of, and the trips to Lyon Airport could be a bit hair-raising in the pouring rain. So we gave in when some friends offered us a Renault Megane at a good price.

Malcolm - a least you got a car that matches the gordini upholstery ;)

• DSCF0399.jpg
    DSCF0399.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 180
It seems we can't get over Renault don't we?

190620101569medium.jpg

It's funny we've all got modern Renaults. It's by chance for me - it was the only small car with the new generation diesel and air conditioning for under £2000. I like the looks too.

It's longer and wider than the Renault 4, but there's not a lot of boot space. It's like a Tardis gone wrong.

I've been improving fuel economy on Nicole. The cold air hose from the air filter was split and had become a slightly restricted hot air pick up. Some new (really posh) oil, air filter and gaffer tape to sort out the air hose increased the average by a good 5mpg to a reported 68mpg when I arrived at work this morning (rural roads, always stuck behind someone). Since then I've found the tyre pressures were 5psi too low. That's sorted now. If you ever get stuck behind a burgundy Clio driving really slowly do give me a wave. Want to try for more than 70mpg. That fuel economy readout is addictive.

The ride can be terrible over some surfaces. I'm worried the new child may suffer brain damage - for some reason they fitted 185/55/15 tyres on a shopping car and I'll bet it's only because the bigger wheels look pretty.

I do hope that your 3000th post won't be about a non-R4!

I'm not surprised about the ride - R4's are so smooth over potholes and road humps. Good work on the MPG and I like the name!

:)

I have the same fuel economy meter on my works van and it is rather addictive!

If I'm gentle with it I can get over 48 to the gallon out of a 3.5 fully loaded van!

I do agree about the wheel sizes being crazy on modern vehicles and they seem to be all bodywork with no interior space anymore!

At least our Kia Sedona which although a huge car still manages on 15" tyres, whilst our daughters S-Max is on 18"ers!

Sorting the tyre pressures seemed to improve the ride a little. I noticed the front tyres are Infinity INF40 - An African make not renowned for wet weather handling. I'll try putting them on the back and see if that makes a difference. It'll either be that or the engine mounts allowing the engine to move around too much over bumps.

Back