Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Complete lock set and ignition barrel

Mickeylove

Enthusiast
Only had the car for 3 weeks and the complete set of keys have gone walkabout for our 1986 GTL.
I'm struggling to find a new set and wondered where to start.
I need the part number if anyone knows or can supply a set.
Thanks, Mike

That's bad news - if you can remove the steering lock and barrel the number should be stamped on it somewhere. Similarly with the door and boot keys. You may need to speak to a Renault dealer and give them the numbers and ask whether they can cut keys based on the numbers.
Alternatively you can order the new parts from Renault - you used to be able to buy a lock set - it's worth asking them.

If you have the key codes, or someone on here can tell you where to find them on the lock or on the car you can get keys made up from codes by www.keytrader.co.uk they made some up for us for an Eriba caravan, and the service and price was excellent.

Looks as if the posts crossed so to speak.
Our keys cost £3.36 each to be made - I suspect Renault might want a bit more. :)

I would suggest its easier to find your old keys. Firstly remove the plastic fascia under the steering wheel, fairly simple. Removing the ignition switch/lock is difficult without the key. To remove the barrel, firstly undo a small crosshead screw, then there is a small button on the side of the lock, which has to be depressed in order to pull the barrel out. Unfortunately you have to have the key in the ignition in order to depress it. I had this problem, and the only way I got the barrel out was by "unwrapping" the steel tube that contains the barrel. I then had to knock it back into shape to accept a spare barrel I had. Of course if you can find the number on the lock barrel of one your door handles, that could make life a lot easier.

I telephoned Renault who quoted £160 + VAT for a replacement set of locks :eek: They generously offered to fit them for a further £150 + VAT once they had sourced a set from France. :eek::eek:

Then my girlfriend went for a coffee this morning to the local cafe and guess what - she had left them there the last time she went.
So the advice was right:

I would suggest its easier to find your old keys.QUOTE]
:D

Sorry to waste your time and knowledge and thank you for your help. 2 copy sets were cut earlier.

Back