Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Continental R-Engine model 839-46

Joehayes28

I have a Teledyne Continental motors R4. I need a set of cylinder rings. Does anybody know where I can get a set in the timely manner? I live in Muskegon Michigan where Teledyne continental motors was originated but I can't seem to find any parts around this area or online for that matter.

PXL_20240304_040052659.MP.jpg

Hi Joe
Is your engine 782cc? I've had a look at the manual (https://www.toro.com/getpub/7473) - it gives 47.8 cu in, which I think translates to 782cc.
If so, I've come across this on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20400065...P2o_NXZjZ3Er_m-xGSvUmWC8-no-XbSxoCPyMQAvD_BwE

I'm not saying these are the right piston rings, but there's a good chance they are. Definitely worth getting in touch with the seller and checking the dimensions. A very good price as well!
Another word of warning - I don't know anything about the Toro machines, and have never had an R4 with a 782cc engine. Just thought this was worth passing on.
Best of luck!

• Continental R engines.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • TTG-1974-GMT-9000-Teled-Contin-R-Series-Engine-Overhaul-Man.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
I have a france 839 engine. And that's indeed 782cc engine. So the Continental engine number kept the 839 for reference. It makes perfect sense to me. If you do the piston rings, you need gaskets as well of course. All common 845cc engine gaskets should fit. Even for the head and stuff.
Good luck!

What happened to your engine then?
I mean rings I can understand. Valve seats never seen weared out byond repair. Yes okay, when they are destroyed by debris. But then you should need new pistons also I guess?
Sleeve seals can be bought plenty and have the same dimensions as from the common 845 engine.
I suggest if your pistons aren't worn out. You could suffice with a slight sleeve hone to take the glaze off the wall for better lubrication. Reseat the valves at the valveseats. And replace the piston rings.
New gaskets and it is almost new!

Back