Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Conversion

sam 119

Enthusiast
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a left hand drive car to right....?

Hi Sam,
it is possible but does involve cutting holes in your bulk head etc....i am sure there is a member with the tech know how on here..

good luck...
p.s...were in devon are you?

cheers
andrew

No point.

(i) LHD is no problem on British roads. I have done 99000 UK miles in my LHD R4 without any difficulty. It takes about 10 minutes to get used to the different environment.

(ii) There is only a problem with the reduced visibility when overtaking. However, in a R4, they are generally overtaking you!

(iii) Cutting the bodywork gives the risk of rust developing at the joins.

(iv) Most LHD parts are still available new, from France. Many RHD parts have been discontinued or are difficult (e.g. steering racks).

(v) Insurance is a bit harder to find, but if the car has been substantially converted (e.g. LH to RH) there could be a problem anyway. Classic policies all cater for LHD.

Last edited:
benchseat is right, there isn't any point in trying to convert a car from LH to RH drive, there are loads of good RH drive cars out there, make it easier for your self and just buy one that is RH drive from the factory.

If you want to keep the car you have then LH drive isn't a real problem, my four is LH drive and my wifes Twingo is LH too, we're used to it, though she does really want to take the Twingo to France in the summer so she can drive it on the correct side of the road for once.

Back