Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Coolant Replacement

Simon Knight

Enthusiast
Hi, I want to renew the coolant in my GTL, if I undo the bottom hose the coolant will drain out, but how do I flush the system through? Do I have to remove the thermostat and put a hose pipe in the top hose? Also do I have to remove the drain plug in the block and if so where exactly is it. Probably stupid questions but any advice would be appreciated I don`t want to make a simple job difficult.

Cheers Simon.

On the GTL, the drain plug is at the back of the engine, near the bulkhead and is very difficult to get to. I didn't undo it when I replaced the coolant, but then I wasn't flushing, just replacing the radiator.

On the GTL, the drain plug is at the back of the engine, near the bulkhead and is very difficult to get to. I didn't undo it when I replaced the coolant, but then I wasn't flushing, just replacing the radiator.
It's indeed difficult to reach but not a mission impossible.
When you don't undo the engine drain plug sludge will accumulate inside the engine block corner near cylinder 4 causing more havok in the future.

Compare these images at the bottom image a small screwdriver (red circel) is stuck trough some several cm's of accumulated sludge.
y4mluoYmXeDMLo8YlhDkS58ZwEazIZXqfVGgCN4ZhyH_ex0J6QlRtEpZGBkJk_vU0TJdySwmeV4NUaflyw2pfm3fVFhGaZY1aBUD9Ww1yvdA-51PLoCueAwoc5QpxcaRNRkR2rJ2Szsg4rFXonqShUuhy_fdOmwJkLticSsWL0UgKaj4i3ZVy7CUfR-ST3LTqkr_zfTY2XUc7z1P9pl0PrMNQ

y4mt7DuJZ6LGPYMHwrNfePZUF-1oO-yaVY_ZaXXUFXMrVNT-cP2Pag9P5mGQowqTC40HcVaWmf-b5VmxClMrKuG-z7kC0fRMSaeetgSB1h7qX0Gtt7KVEzaAwp96oEIbg_eFBYY8d-gOI1GA9H5U9T2nrfJfINJWMuzJIck0vE6BBQ4VU8-O_jkYC6xOPI6SlNN-H0d4l9i0l6banuR_p6HRA

Best thing to do is to remove the drain plug and thoroughly flush, rinse and clean the complete coolant system.
It will cost you some and a full day of work.

Back