Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Corroded Headlights

pstruckers

Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

Spent yesterday out in the freezing cold working on Renae. Had to give up after 3 hours, the feeling had disappeared in my hands to the point I was dropping tools and becoming a hazard to myself and car :(

Long and short of this inspection was headlights are screwed, corroded if I wanted to be technical about it.

Anyhow I am aware that Renault do not manufacture replacements for RH R4 headlights anymore, and seen the work around here on the guide section. However, being concerned about making a mess of it I wondered if a) are there any other cars with similar fittings i.e. classic mini, that could be used instead or b) does anyone have any original replacements/or new modified headlights.

Look forward to any responses :)

Hi there, the Mini has 7"headlights, the R4 approx 5", so no similarity. Try Derek Flavell at www.renospeed.co.uk. I am sure he will be able to help you. Brian.

as a last resort,it is quite possible to pry off the white (or by now yellowed and hardened)stuff that glues the glass to the reflector and then have the reflectors re-silvered/chromed.. Make a mark on glass and rim so you can refit glass at correct angle afterwards.Use a smallish flat screwdriver, pry between outer-edge of reflector and glass -Careful will do it.Soon as you have broken or lifted off a bit of the white stuff that holds glass you are home free-just remember to pry screwdriver Outwards -towards metal-edge of reflector -Not towards glass or this Will chip or break.
Reglu using soft-compound glue (Not silicone) smooth out with wet finger to get nice watertight surface.
If RHS-units er getting hard to get-most important all you RHS-drivers hold on your lenses as both RH and LH-reflectors can be used only glass matters .Luckily I've got a bunch of lenses but sorry no RHD-ones

You don't want the units from Der Franzose (I'm sorry to say) as glass are convex (bulging Outwards) Totally wrong for 4L! this has Superb light, in my opinion due much to fact glass is concave (bulging Invard) which by "air-cushion" holds glass cleaner.. Gives cooler look too.

See you all in Thenay -R.

Nope! I bought some from der franzose and the glass is the correct way ! They sell several variants! (Am worried about the quality tho as mine didn't fit nicely)

Converting from LHD to RHD is easy you can either carry out Malcolms conversion which involves moving the bulb in the lamp - or you can just stick tape on the lense

Back