Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

cuts out during acceleration

colombo4

Hello,

This is my first post. I don't know much about cars but I've had my renault 4 (1989) for about a year and I've been having some problems recently. I live in Colombia and it's been really hard to find a trustworthy mechanic.

The problem: the car starts up ok (the choke is disconected), but when I accelerate the car stalls at the top end of the acceleration. If I accelerate slowing and carefully it won't stall at the top end of the acceleration.

History: I took it to get calibrated a few months ago and the mechanic disconneted the choke and said it was uneccesary. That resulted in not being able to start the car on cold mornings. (which caused the starter to blow) It now has a new starter and starts ok...but the choke is still disconnected. (can I connect it myself????) The carborator has just been cleaned and looks great.

I think the next step is to replace the gas and air filter? Could it be water in the tank???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have to admit, I love these cars!!

Thanks in advance,
Cameron

Hi, It would help to know what carburettor do you have ? It sounds like the accelerator pump may me blocked

Yes you can re connect the choke, there was no need for your mechanic to disconnect it. I would not go back to him again.

It might help if you take some photo's of your engine and let us see what has been done to it.

mike,

Sounds like ignition timing is wrong and you need to advance the timing. That's a really rubbish mechanic you found there - can you find another through recommendations?

Back