Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cylinder head gasket

Robbie
I think you may be right re water pump failure,I can hear a bit of a rattle coming from that area,I will isolate alternator tonight so I can rule that out,makes sense though as he is not circulating water,as you open the bleed screw its very intermittent the water that comes out.
Cheers for that,now where do I get a proper water pump,and knowing what impeller it has?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I have so far not had this problem but an easy way to make sure you do not let it happen again is to fit a Temp gauge so you can actually see when the temp is getting hot rather than waiting until the red light comes on which is usually too late. Honest its easy if I can do it , and you do not need to fit it in the dash if you prefer to keep all looking original just put it in a separate "pod"..
All you need to do is get an adapter bolt/fitting down from external size M18x1.5 to an internal 1/8NPT to fit to the block and put in a temperature sensor for a clock gauge......run a wire from the sensor to the clock and one from the clock to a live on the ignition side and presto no more wondering if shes getting hot and you can judge the temp for the fan cutting in if you have that luxury ;)

• temp gauge (1).JPG
    temp gauge (1).JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 6
  • temp gauge (2).JPG
    temp gauge (2).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 6
andy you are supposed to have two clips to hold thermost and hose to pump in place

andy you are supposed to have two clips to hold thermost and hose to pump in place
where ? I took off the top hose and there's no thermostat in there ! I would have removed it anyway if I had found one ...........

You must be paranoid about overheating guess it is bit warmer in Cyprus lol thermostat helps fuel economy though less choke needed

You must be paranoid about overheating guess it is bit warmer in Cyprus lol thermostat helps fuel economy though less choke needed
I find the car reaches its running temp very quickly over here ( in minutes ) and after that the use of a thermostat is negated as its open all the time so apart from it being there and then "failing" causing damage to the head I see no use for it to be honest. I would sooner pay a little extra for running the choke in the winter months than chance a fail and paying for a strip down if it caused damage ;)

Back