Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

cylinder head removal

guy merreywether

This is my first post, and I'm new to R4's. I'm fixing my neibours R4, he's a lovely old boy, and he's had the car from new. The head gasket has gone. I bought an old haynes manual, and it's very specific about needing the special socket to undo the head bolts 'nothing else will fit'. Is this right , and does anyone know where I can buy one? I'm in rural france, so its going to have to be mail order.
Thanks
Guy

There is no special socket needed. You can use a common box-spanner or a narrow socket usually included in a bigger socket wrench set.
Greetings from sunny Prague Pavel :)

Not sure about later (1100 cc) cars but the small-engine heads are difficult to remove. Several bolts are tucked under the rocker gear. It is possible with "normal" tools, but I made myself a slimline socket by welding a socket to an extension bar and then grinding it all down to fit ! You need to shorten the socket and remove the shoulders. I used a 6 point socket which gives more purchase. Good luck , Simon

It is not necessary to mess with grinding, welding or milling sockets...I went to all this trouble some 15 years ago, when I first removed an 845cc head, just because I decided to follow Mr.Haynes' words...well it's far more simplier.
First you loose all rocker adjusting locknuts and unscrew all adjusters as far as they will go. You will discover now that the inner rocker arms are free to move sideways against their spring tension, so that the pushrods can be removed under them, one by one (note their position). For the two outermost rockers, remove the wire clips and springs at each end of the rocker shafts.
With the rockers now free to pivot upwards, you can use any 14mm socket to loosen the head bolts!

You are correct Angel. I discovered this 35 years ago, but only after buying the special socket from Renault!!! In any event, when I used to do a top end overhaul I dismantled the rocker shaft, cleaned the oilways and any stuck on carbon and refaced the rockers to ensure correct valve clearance.

Yes, i agree with angel too, thats how i do it.

Back