Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Dash Brake switch

Jimthevan

Enthusiast
Hi this has probably been asked before but I cannot find anything on the search - what is the brake switch on the dash for?

All new to the R4 experience but loving every minute!

Hi Jim, not quite sure what switch you mean. Could you upload I photo? I'm still away but will be in touch when I get back home next week, so we can get together.
Regards Brian.

Curious isn't it! It is a brake warning light, and the switch is only there to test the bulb. I think it is a creative solution to get through some legislation they forgot to design for. :-)

Only fitted to models with dual circuit brakes that have got a pressure drop warning indicator on the side of the master cylinder quite rare and these are the ones with 4 pipes coming out of the master cylinder usually 1977 to 1979

thanks for the replies - interesting - ours is an 1982. so i presume this illuminates when there is a pressure drop

Hi this has probably been asked before but I cannot find anything on the search - what is the brake switch on the dash for?

All new to the R4 experience but loving every minute!
It is a brake fluid level test wired to your brake fluid cap. It indicates when the fluid level drops in the reservoir and illuminates.

Back