Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Der Franzose Parts Numbers

Mike313

Enthusiast
Hi All,
This is a hand-brake cable question. I want to order set of handbrake cables for my 1983 F6 van (RHD, floor mounted lever). My Haynes manual is a bit non-commital and shows a diagram for the older model with the dashboard-mounted handbrake.
I mailed DerFranzose for help and they have told me 'The handbrake cables are our partnumbers 84113 and 84112' but on looking at their on-line catalogue Part No. 84112 is described as 'handbrake cable Renault 4 GTL, R4 F6 rear right side, 80>82 1585/1335mm. Fits for big drum 228mm'. I'm interpreting the 80>82 as the year so is this the correct one for a 1983 F6? For Part No. 84113, the description is 'handbrake cable Renault 4 GTL rear left side, 83> 1040/920mm'. No mention of the F6 so likewise, is this the correct one?
I'm away from home at the moment so haven't been under the van to check, but the manual shows that 3 cables were needed on the older van (with the dashboard-mounted handbrake lever); one from the lever and two separate cables at the rear) is it the same with the floor-mounted model? Is it 2 or 3 cables? I'm not at home to go and check myself.
Before someone says it, yes, I have e-mailed back to DerFranzose politely asking for clarification - twice - but they haven't answered. And Cipere, their counterparts in France, do not have the cables.
I'm hoping to order up the cables so that they'll be waiting for me next time I'm home. Maybe someone has bought these cables from DerFranzose in the past and could tell me what DerFranzose parts nos. they ordered? (Long shot, I know)
Ta in advance,
Mike.

Fairly sure that GTL cables won't fit an F6. F6 cables are longer I think. Anyway, certainly as of last year Renault could still supply F6 handbrake cables new, can't remember the price but they weren't that expensive.

Hello Mike. I got two handbrake cables for my 83 GTL from Der Franzose thats all that is required, and they are also suitable for the F6. The part number is 84116. For the record, they are about 6"(150mm) longer than the GTL ones, but they fit fine. Hope this is useful. Regards Brian.

Thanks for the replies Lobster and Cornish4, I'll look at 84116, the extra length ties in with both your comments. :-)

Thanks guys

Thanks DavidN.
It's great to be able to come on the forum and get advice from people who've 'been there, done that'.
:D
Mike.

Back