Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

diesel gearbox problem

tartan-tora

hi guys i own a 1994 mreg espace 2.1 td rt-helios and would just like to ask if anyone out there could tell me why my gear box sticks in reverse and takes me a lifetime to disengage it from reverse,

any ideas on how to solve this problem???

regards graeme

am not familiar with this specific box.Does it have a 'lock' to prevent you accidentaly putting it onto reverse? If so it has a ring under the gearknob you'd have to pull up to get into reverse..This gizmo usually cable-operated and when cable gets old it stretches and makes it hard to engange and/or disengange reverse.. feels as you lack hydr.pressure enough in the clutch (you have checked That too right?)
You poke and poke with the gearshift but it won't get into or out of reverse
TIP! -If this is the cause do place an extra cable for that next time-strip to other one each end along the one you have to install usually they are a pain in the *** to get to -At least it is on the Alpine. -R.

I'd check the cable where it goes into the gearlever, (for the lift up piece of the gear lever) IIRC mine broke on my old Espace and we repaired it temporarily (permanently) with a cable tie, it did another 100,000 miles like that afterwards.

Not sure why it would be sticking in reverse tho, perhaps its a sticky clutch. how heavy is the clutch pedal?

evening pepper! the cable works as a lock-up -if cable is streched it won't release the lock.....
I'm working overtime on Roffen to get it ready for vacation..Never seen so many ODD details going wrong..I need to find another jockeywheel (the smallest wheel on the waterpump) it's not damaged or dented in any way,but has such a peculiar shape inside where the belt goes..belt is about 18 degrees on sides while
jockeywheel is tigher, so when I adjust is to stop howling it's getting chewed up..Lasted 200km's with correct adjustment!! this is the orig jockeywheel,so the R5 must have had an apetite for belts!! Oh well-there's always tomorrow -R.

hi pepper,

the clutch pedal isn't heavy! ( well i dont think it is anyway) the gear lever comes out of reverse but stays in gear and when i put it into another gear its stays in reverse and stalls the engine!!!!

Back