Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Disasterville - big time

ian Stanbury

Enthusiast
Although it may not mean much to you all, this little critter could cause us all a big problem and when I say BIG, I mean H U G E..

This is an Asian Hornet which we have just zapped in our kitchen - having them around however is potentially a total disaster for us all - These Hornets should not to be confused Malcolm, Mark, Michael and Pepper, with Wolseley Hornets, which are a lot bigger.

The reason:
They like nothing more than gorging themselves on honey bees - they get up and have bees for breakfast, they mess around til 11 and have bees for elevenses - at 12, they stop for a 2 hour light French lunch of bees, followed by tea and bees at 5. Then its TV and a light supper of bees before retreating to their nest high up in tall trees, out of sight in amongst the summer leaves

So Team: No bees = no life - simple as that..

So I would like you all to know that I am working very hard for you for very little reward by zapping as many as I can but where there is one, there generally are millions more and at my age, I am not as agile with my zapper as I used to be.

Do you have them where you are Simon and Juliet?

Apparently the best way to catch them is to set a real Honey Trap but ours has been rather useless - so far only catching Happy Herons, Russell Crows and hungry Hoopoes

• IMG_0493 e.jpg
    IMG_0493 e.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 203
Bees

Not aware of them at the moment , we have other hornets that will spoil our day, but the problem here are pesticides and insecticides which are killing the bee hives.

We are going organic so hopefully reducing the problem !

Harry the Hornets' nest

For anyone interested in a pic of Harry's nest - here it is and its enormous..

• DSCF0934 e.jpg
    DSCF0934 e.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 154
I take it that hornet is in France not the UK? (If not I suggest that DEFRA willl be interested).

Unless you have hives nearby that the hornets have found, the best path is to leave them alone and they will pretty much leave you alone.

N

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian i will have that tree down next week so get the video recorder out for youve been framed as it might be me running across the wier to serge's this time

is that what we spotted going into the brick work of the cottage last year?

ORRR, breed a massive ammount of honey bees so that the hornets eat the weaker ones, then you would have an army of super bees. although they may attack your blueberries so even you might want to take an A level in fruit cage security and scrutiny

Ian i will have that tree down next week so get the video recorder out for youve been framed as it might be me running across the wier to serge's this time

Mike - you may want to rethink your plans to fell a tree with a hornets nest in if you read this :eek:

is that what we spotted going into the brick work of the cottage last year?

There are things called mortar bees. See extract from Tunbridge Council website below:

'Mortar bees generally occur in late spring, they are harmless and of no danger to you, your family or your property.

Many species of solitary bees and wasps make nests by burrowing into earthy banks and, of these, a few will occasionally use crevices in walls. Only one species (Osmia rufa), is commonly found nesting in mortar between brickwork and this habit has earned it a common name, the mortar bee.

Osmia rufa is similar in size to a hive bee and is bronze/black in colour covered with orange hairs.

The bees spend the winter hibernating as adults in the nest and emerge between April - June. Nest building commences in late May - June and it is during this period that the nuisance is caused. The nesting site may be in soil or old, soft mortar, normally in ready made crevices, and there is little evidence to indicate that they will actually cause damage, particularly in sound mortar. There have been several dramatic reports in the press, which suggest otherwise but these have not been fully substantiated.

The nest is made up of 10-20 cells, arranged in a linear fashion, divided by walls made of saliva mixed with soil. Each cell is stocked with honey/pollen food, an egg is laid and it is then sealed off before work begins on the next one. When all cells are completed the nest is sealed with a more substantial end wall to protect it. Development takes place within each cell and adults emerge from the pupae in September/October but remain inside the nest till the following spring.

The bees are not aggressive and will only sting under extreme provocation
'

Trouble is, if you rent a property from someone, can the land lord afford to have an infestation of any creature be it spider, bees or snakes??? yuo wouldn't want a snake up your trouser leg would you

Many species of solitary bees and wasps make nests by burrowing into earthy banks and, of these, a few will occasionally use crevices in walls. Only one species (Osmia rufa), is commonly found nesting in mortar between brickwork and this habit has earned it a common name, the mortar bee.

There is a pub in Whittlesford Cambs called 'The Bees in the Wall'. Must be the only one in the UK

Back