Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

disk brake renewal

snes

Enthusiast
Hi
I'm planning on changing the disks and pads on my 86 GTL, Girling brakes.

To remove the hubs to get at the disc, I presume it would be sensible to buy a 3-legged puller? If so, what size (the cheap sets seem to come in 75, 100 and 150mm sizes)

Presumably I put pressure on the drive shaft end until the hub gives, then pull hub and disc off.

Haynes is his usual skimpy self here and the picture guide on this site makes it look all too easy - I expect problems!

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm
but assuming the worst, and the hub wont pull off (I believe the bearing sometimes sticks?) what would your strategy be then?

A sliding hammer looks tempting, but the 3 stud fixing makes fitting one tricky.

I'm trying to be prepared for the worst, just in case. Of course, it may just slip off ......

Steve
you must be able to do this job in your sleep! Am I worrying unnecessarily? Do you use any special tools for this job?
Thanks!

Not quite!!! Last time I used a slide hammer, the bearings stuck and all came out in pieces but I managed to get everything back together okay after cleaning everything up and repacking the bearings. The only other way is to remove the whole hub and get a garage to press the flange out of the bearings but that still isn't a guarantee that the bearing won't separate. When I replaced my discs I had a set of bearings sitting there just in case. They are still on the shelf now!!

Back