Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Distibutor timing notch on flywheel? where?

That's the way I would do it mojobaby, a bit at a time. It does sound like its retarded far too much. Do you have the correct firing order Sprackers? 1-3-4-2, and that's in a clockwise direction around the cap.

Hi Chaps

New Battery
New dizzy cap - that fits properly
New rotor arm - I think it s the correct one, fits well into its slot
New Leads to spark plugs

Triple checked yesterday the order of the plugs - all correct

Rotor arm:

I bought a new one (with the dizzy) and when I tied to slot it in it was very tight.

I noticed that up inside of the bottom of the rotor arm, there was a little metal plate (about 4mm by 4mm) that made it very tight to slide down the rotor arm. I removed that little bit of metal and then the rotor arm slid down easily right down to the base.

My old rotor arm didnt have that tiny little pice of metal.

Is that anything to do with it?

I am going to take your advice and move the dizzy anti-clockwise a little at a time.

2 questions:

1. I have placed the notch on the flywheel at 4º (ie the middle of the markers on the lower part of my bellhousing. Is this ok?

2. I have guessedtmated the distance of the points to 0.4mm (half the thickness of a credit card). should this be ok?

Sounds to me that you have to decrease the gap between the points.
Weak running engine - weak spark - too less of a charge of the ignition coil.
Can all be solved with a decreased gap in the points!

The smaller the gap the longer the points are closed (4 times per revolution).
The longer the coil gets charged the stronger the spark will be. :cool:

Don't mess too much with the timing until you get it running/firing properly.

Without a strobe light it is not possible to set it right anyway.
At least to the inexperienced EAR.

Good Luck!

David

*edit*
Did you change the condenser for a new one as well?
Strange things can happen when that little sucker is malfunctioning!

SHE'S RUNNING:D:D:D

I did as you said and changed the points distance both smaller and bigger but still very weak, and then just didnt start.....I again timed it but still weak...really not running.

Then a French bloke walked past....and before I knew it he had taken the head off to check the pistons.

He was covered in greese in 2 minutes

He altered the gap with the points, back to about where I had them from the start.

Then we (he) advanced the head quite a lot more than I did.

Ie we hard the spark then he twisted the dizzy anti-clockwise about 20º more than where I was putting it and she fired up and ran well.

It help when there are two peolple.

I havent taken her out for a run yet but at least she's going.

I will read your threads about pinkng etc...........

WHAT CAN I SAY........................Cheers to all that have helped get Cristine back running its been about 2 months now.

Even though I got help to get across the finish line, I would have never got to this point without all your help and advice.

I will be in Thenay, with any luck, so if you helped then come and fine me for a beer.

Well done Sprackers, you got there, nice feeling eh? If she pinks, just retard the ignition a little, ie turn the dizzy clockwise. Looking forward to that beer.:D

Back