Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Distributor .... the next steps

Anyone installed one of these?, too cheap maybe?

• Screenshot_20170623-191051.png
    Screenshot_20170623-191051.png
    343.7 KB · Views: 3
First try and advance a bit more on the ignition. Before you start buying things, make her run better on the original set up.
I advance as far as that the marker is disappearing in the spy hole.
Then I make a test run and retart so far that the engine isn't pinking under load in the highest gear. Its trail and error time now.
Invest in a good strobe light with dwell meter and rev.counter before you start thinking about electronic ignition. To time the engine you need one to if you put in electronic ignition

I have a secondhand Thalon strobe with rev. counter, strobe, dwell meter and volt meter. Best investment of €25 ever.

Thanks had another look this evening, checked all the plugs, all OK, re checked points, all OK, timing I think is the issue but will experiment tomorrow, agree with your comments get it running right with what I have in place, also noticed a slight leak from the exhaust manifold so gently Tightened the nuts up.. Tomorrow is another day cheers

harbourseal: what advance setting do you usually end up at?

My thalon strobe does not give a setting number.
It is more a feel. I make the engine run. And listen to it. Then advance with the strobe.
They are not the settings by the book.

But we have a Sun engine diagnostic device since last week. I'll hook her up to it and get you the readings.

OK.. Update... Fitted the new coil Friday night so that's all the ignition bits replaced, while carrying out stationery test warmed up the engine and noticed that I hadn't tightened up one of the exhaust manifold nuts fully, gently tightened it while warm and the chuffing has stopped. Went out for a 40 mile drive and all seems well, pulls in each gear and seems more responsive and quiet. While out the dash battery light started to flicker and traced fault to a loose wire on the back of the alternator. Checked voltage output and all good. So I'll continue to run it around and see how it goes, need to get the near side tyre replaced and tracking down to ensure its street legal, but should be a cheap fix. So feel confident now is can crack on with all the other jobs... Oh and top speed today was just over 110kph/68mph so assume it's running at its best for a 956cc ..Cheers all

Last edited:
second hand Dwell Meter ordered from ebay :-) I have located the following numbers : Contact breaker gap 0.4 to 0.5mm(.016 to.020in.)dwell angle,57° ± 3° do they look correct ?

Looks ok, make it 0.4/0.45mm for the point gap. That will give you a dwell angle of 56º and you can have some more play on it ±6º

My F6 has a 956cc in it and it does about the same as yours 115kph.
Your Berline should do better. Try and play some with the advance.

Just ran it up on the dwell meter, getting 50degrees, when revved up to 3000rpm it dips to 42degress assume the vacume advance needs adjusting now

Hi Richard,
You need to adjust your point gap.
To where the dwell reads 56
I know it's a fiddly job. But you need to get closer to the optimum.
Now it's just within the margins.

Regards, Robert

You need to close points gap fractionally and try and compromise average 57 degrees
Leave vacuum off while trying to get as close as possible
Much newer ducelliers had a nut on outside to adjust while running
Having got best you can retry with vaccum connected
See if dwell readings are affected
Closing points gap will retard the ignition so timing must be reset once dwell correct
Ideally advanced as much as possible for optimum performance

Ok then a good update.. adjusted the points several times (0.45mm) and managed to get the Dwell reading to 56 degrees. When revved to 2500/3000 RPM it dips to 52 degrees then comes back to 56, so assume within the tolerances of ±6º I'm ok, I also wound back the Vacuum advance a couple of clicks and this seemed to also help.
I put a little lube on the disti shaft to help the movement of the points and this also seemed to help, re did the timing and took it out for a blast - now I thought it was running well before but my word it's got some more grunt back and is really smooth and peppy so I think all this work as paid off. Apart from the steering that is crabbing down the road due to the rubbish tracking, the new tie rod ends will sort that out and then we are making good progress. Then just the daunting thought of having to replace the crankshaft oil seal, clutch etc to go ... I am thinking I might outsource this job... to someone better equipped than me.. and then leave me to enjoy more motoring.

Finally thanks Mr Reno (Paul), Harbourseal (Robert), AdamWilkes, Andy M, Paul N you have all been a great help :-)

Hey Mr reno, I'll see what bonus I get paid I'm the coming weeks, I've got the new clutch, drive shaft seals, crank shaft seal all ready so just the labour needed and to be honest it will be nice to get you do it and it will make it to Worthing no issue

Back