Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

distributor

dug

Hi i have a late 1986 r4gtl and its distributor has its contact breakers fitted upside down under the plate it sits on, ive been told its a femsa,i would like to fit eletronic ignition .would anyone know which company would be able to supply a suitable one,thanks in advance

Femsa points sit on top of the plate and can be adjusted by removing the cap. Not quite sure where you are coming from here! The make of the distributor will be written on it somewhere. What problems are you having with it anyway?

The points on a Femsa distributor are indeed upside down and hidden beneath a plate inside the unit.
But there is no electronic ignition conversion kit for a Femsa distributor.
They are only availlable for Ducellier distributors.
So if you want to change to an electronic ignition you have to get yourself a Ducellier distributor first.

But even if you change the points for a hall sensor plus the electronic ignition you still have to deal with the (more than 20 Years old) bob weights and the vacuum unit. It's common that the vacuum unit is not working as it was when new and usually the springs inside the distributor are worn out and you will never gain an advance curve as per manufacturer specs.

I see the 123Ignition as the only way to go when changing to EI.
Yes, it is pricey, but you will change the whole distributor to a new unit and you'll never have to bother with old and worn out pieces of the original distributor!
Installation - especially for the GTL - is as easy as can be.

I installed it in my F6 van a few weeks back and after getting it adjustet properly (unfortunately it has no pre-set advance curve for the F6 engine) it runs like a charm!

Cheers,

David

If you do manage to find a Ducillier dizzy in good condition, NOS or from a low mileage car, Aldon do a electronic ignition kit, part no EP 141, I paid less than £100 for mine. It's easy to fit, completely unobtrusive, just 2 wires from the dizzy to the coil.

Installation - especially for the GTL - is as easy as can be.

How difficult will be install one of those 123 distributor on a 956 engine?
I want to turn my engine in a 1108 one, but the matter will be what it's going to need replacement first, the engine or the distributor?

The points on a Femsa distributor are indeed upside down and hidden beneath a plate inside the unit.

Sorry, yes, I must of been thinking about the Ducellier. The Femsa is such an awful unit that I replaced my one very quickily shortly after getting the car.

SEV Marshal

I am currently looking at EI for my SEV Marshal distributors. Have sent off a distributor as an example, will let you know how I get on !

How difficult will be install one of those 123 distributor on a 956 engine? I want to turn my engine in a 1108 one, but the matter will be what it's going to need replacement first, the engine or the distributor?

Hi Azazello,

I don't know if the 123Ignition will fit a 956 engine.
You could check if the dimensions of your original distributor match the 123Ignition and varify if the 123 offers s a sufficent advance curve for your engine.

Here's a link to the product sheet.

If you are still not quite shure, you could ask on the support forum, as I did prior to ordering mine.

Good luck!

Cheers,

David

Hi Azazello,

I don't know if the 123Ignition will fit a 956 engine.
You could check if the dimensions of your original distributor match the 123Ignition and varify if the 123 offers s a sufficent advance curve for your engine.

I think that I will not find mechanical impediments to fitting, as 689 engine are the same of 688 ones, just worrying about the advance curve... But I see from your link that the 123 has curves for r4 savane and r5 689, so one of them should be mine...
I hope to have my engine gtl-ized before buying one of those toys.

Thank you!

Back