Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Dizzy Dissasembled. Photo. interior. fault detected.Vacuum test.

Sprackers

Enthusiast
Morning Chaps.

After a years search I have finally found the correct dizzy but the centre column is a bit stiff. I know you need to put the oil but where ?

Its totally sealed as far as i can see.

Looked as Haynes ...no help really.

DSC03776.JPG DSC03775.JPG

During regular maintenance of distributors you are supposed to put oil in the sponge in the center of the column, were the rotor goes.
In this situation I think that a complete dismounting of the distributor and a rebuild after cleaning and lubricating is really needed.

Brilliant. A litttle oil in the sponge it will be.

I am a little worried about taking apart. For instance the serated wheel that regulates the vacuum. In hayes it says only get a qualified engineer to regulate this.

Hi Tom,

I have taken the plunge and took the whole thing apart. I still couldnt get any oil into the axle bit.

Took photos before dissasembly.

The serated wheel I put back at notch number 4;)

put it all back together. There was a bevelled washer in there somewhere that I wasnt sure but got it right.

Blew air into the Vaccuum.

Do you know there is a pin size whole in it. I didnt but I do now. Almost bought a new vacuum.

Just waiting for new points,head,digit and The fabled Ducellier R244D61 (rare as Rocking Horse ....) will be in.

:D

Thats what I thought........BUT....the vacuum chamber is supposed to have a pin hole in it.

Yes that is what I read from a previous thread.

Would never have thought that.

Anyway the other vacuum would not do as it is a R324C33 Distibutor.

I would think and have seen that the vacuums are different sizes dependant on the D61 number........errr I think....not sure about that last bit.

Not sure if the D number is relating to the vacuum.

Does anyone know exactly wht the R number and D number actually refer to.

And does anyone know anything about that mysterious serated tooth wheel.

I am sure DavidN knows but he is taking a break.

• DSC03775.JPG
    DSC03775.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 2
It is an early automated device linked to the vacuum to alter the dwell angle of the points to advance/retard to compensate between constant velocity and acceleration. PS. don't alter it

I decided to completely dissasembly and re oil the dizzy (and de-oil so its dry inside after, too much oil not good). See photo

I am glad I did because I found a problem by accident that would , if not noticed, have made the whole advance/vacuum redundant.

on dismantleing and removing the vaccum from the main dizzy it came straight off leaving the arm (and spring) pointing out the side of the dizzy. Thjs I found out later should not of happened.

There is an arm (and spring) that connects the serated wheel to the diaphram inside the vacuum.

This arm has a screw thread on the end that goes into the vacuum and this obviously must be screwed into the diaphram inside. See photo

This enables the the vacuum to pull the diaphram then the rod then alter the dwell on the serated wheel. (makes it go in and out)

Mine was not screwed in. Therefore meaning the whole diaphram would not pull the arm and therfore not adjust the advance.

I would never have known what was wrong had i not opened it all up.

To replace, I know now, that the arm and spring must be attached to the vaccuum bell and then re-attach it to the main dizzy unit and then the serated wheel.

I hope this helps someone who is stuck.

• DSC03794.JPG
    DSC03794.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC03795.JPG
    DSC03795.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC03796.JPG
    DSC03796.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 4
Spring was too big.

Meaning unable to screw rod into thread inside Vaccuum. (See Photo)

Cut spring down smaller.

With spring smaller able to attach arm and screw into Vacuum.

re-attached vacuum to side of dizzy pushing attached arm through hole in side of dizzy then into serated wheel.

adjusted serated wheel so it takes up slack of diaphram.

Tested it by sucking on exposed vacuum pipe and could see it pull the arm towareds the vacuum therefore altering dwell angle.

JOB DONE

• DSC03799.JPG
    DSC03799.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03800.JPG
    DSC03800.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03802.JPG
    DSC03802.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
I have put the new Dizzy in and Wow what a difference. I actually have a 3rd gear that works now.

After removing the old dizzy I tested the vacuum unit and found that it was broken all the time.

I have done some more reading and found a French website that also helps on this topic (see link)

http://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=146

Conclusion: When buying:

If you are buying a second hand Distibutor alsways ask if the vacuum unit is ok and not perforated.

A new Vacuum unit can cost as much as a second-hand dizzy.

great work sprackers!

that is one of my favorite pages (beside this forum) when studying before jumping on job around R4

Back