Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Don't weeks always go wrong?

pepper

Pepper The One and Only!
This week my father passed away, after contracting pneumonia.

I've been having to go upto Telford everyday to sort out all the arrangements and help my sister.

I've been using Judiths Twingo as we haven't got much money spare and its far more economical for one person than the Kia.

So this morning the poor thing decides to rip its cam belt to shreds at 70Mph in the outside lane of the M42 between junctions two and one!

SO I managed to get it recovered back home and this evening I've whipped the cam cover off and sure enough its in pieces, it wasn't due for another 10,000 miles although I suppose years wise it was probably due!

This is the first ever cam belt I've had snap on me, anyone know if the 1.2 OHC engine is a safe engine by any chance?

I've turned the cam shaft over and it all turns over smoothly enough, I suppose the only way to know would be to quickly put a cam belt on and try it?

Righty I better get emailing renault4mad for a quote on a kit, may as well change water pump idler and belt a the same time!!

Pepper, I'm not sure if it's a 'safe' engine but you could check by turning the cam at 90 degree intervals and turn the engine over by hand at each interval. If there is no resistance then you may be ok. Another way to check may be to remove the cam cover and see if all valves operate as they should when you turn the cam over - even better if you can check the valve clearance. If all appears ok then go for replacing the belt. I'm not familiar with this engine but these are the basic checks I would carry out. Best of luck and hope that peace returns to your life soon.

Hi Pepper,

I have priced up the bits and sent the prices through your message.

Im sorry to say that we have never had a lucky escape with the DIET engine...sorry:(

cheers
andrew

Sorry to hear of all your troubles Pepper. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Back