Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Drive shaft copper washer

mojobaby

Enthusiast
After I took my drive shaft out, I found a copper washer on the floor. I'm just presuming that it's from the drive shaft (wheel side) as it seems to fit very nicely.

The funny thing is that the other drive shaft didn't have the copper ring. I think it may be the dust cover for the bearing?

I couldn't find it on the Franzose website, so can someone tell me if it is indeed from the driveshaft and where I can get a replacement part DSCF6497.JPG

it looks like the seal from the back of the wheel bearing , saw similar when I did my rear brakes.. but that's just a guess......:rolleyes:

Hi Mojobaby

I've just a few minutes ago replaced my driveshaft to find exactly the same Copper Washer/Shim on the outside end of the shaft before it meets the hub assembly. The replacement shaft came with one so I have a SPARE COPPER WASHER sitting in an envelope waiting to be posted. Just PM me your address and I'll post straight away.

Jonathan

This is the famous "rondelle anti-crissement", for which we had spent a lot of time in the past, without making a conclusion whether it is necessary or not, or what its purpose is ;-) . Maybe you, Mojobaby, being Francophone, can shed some light? :-D

When I paid a visit to my nearest Renault garage and asked for an "expert" on la Quatrelle, they said they had the last one in France, so I'm guessing it's a dying breed!

I brought along my drive shaft as well as the copper washer for demonstration purposes.

He said that without the "rondelle" there would be a gap between the bearing and the drive shaft; the washer is there to fill the gap.
So I asked if it was necessary or not necessary, perhaps I could leave it off.

"C'est obligatoire, Monsieur!" And when the French say that, they mean it's absolutely compulsory!
Without it, there would be the gap and ultimately, damage to the bearing.

So there's your answer from the last "expert" in France.

And many thanks for your spare, Jonathan, yours is the one on the left. It arrived today in the postDSCF6500.JPG

Well that's just great. A little bit of 'Womble' makes it back to France :-)

Jonathan

Thread revival alert :) I am in need of one of these copper washers. can anyone assist? Or a part number maybe?
Thanks

I am in need of these copper washers - are they fitted to both sides? Does anyone have any spare?

Back