Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Earth lead

walter white

Enthusiast
MY 1986 R4 Has developed a starting problem.Its sounds like the batterys getting drain slightly over night.It does start but only just.Ive put a new battery on it.Can someone tell me what the 3inch long metal box is that the earth lead goes to before it gets to the engline?Ive tried a continuity test accross its terminals and get nothing...

The earth lead normally goes directly to the top of the gearbox. The positive lead goes to the starter solenoid under the exhaust manifold. Maybe post some photos if you have another box somewhere?

Current drains are annoying. I have one in the Gordini and disconnect the battery between use. You can buy switches. On modern cars it is normally the alarm that causes it. On older cars like the Renault 4 it tends to be the radio if wired poorly or a fault in the alternator.

A faulty radio was the cause of my current drain.

One thin earth lead does go to the top the gearbox then there is another thicker one that goes to the box thing.
It looks just like a big connector block.I will post a pic later on.
Ive disconnected the stereo..pulled out fuses.

The main earth lead should go straight to the top of the g/box as Malcolm said, the thinner one should go to a bolt on the front of the inner wing which earths the lights on the bonnet amongst other things

This is the box thing.! Top lead is from the battery negative the bottom one goes to engine block.no continuity between the two leads.
any ideas

20151122_160816.jpg

This is the box thing.! Top lead is from the battery negative the bottom one goes to engine block.no continuity between the two leads.
any ideas
It's not an isolator switch is it?: what's on the other side of the panel that it's attached to?

I do think its just cable management. To keep the earth lead away from any turning parts and een extra earth to the car body.

Back