Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electric Fuel Pump

safeulli

Enthusiast
Hi all, some weeks ago i bought my 2th R4 after i had years back a F6 .
my problem now the fuel pump needs to be replaced and it is that model where a kind of piston operates the pump , now here in Portugal that version is close to impossibel to get.
my idea is to put a electric fuel pump, what i need to seach for in terms of BAR and so on?
Thanks

• 20180228_165830.jpg
    20180228_165830.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20180228_165916.jpg
    20180228_165916.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 20
Why electric? I'm not complete familiar with all the 688 (Cleon) engine versions , but wouldn't an alternative mechanical fuelpump fit?
Or is the notch on the camshaft that drives the fuelpump that different?
Just a thought.

• 20160729_083509.jpg
    20160729_083509.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 14
One advantage in fitting an electric pump would be it keeps the petrol somewhat cooler in these Ethanol-times... -Reid

The rhd 1108 r4 5 6 etc use the pushrod type pump so the pump can be mounted lower to avoid the steering column
Percentage wise most cars use the conventional lever arm type even here in UK most sellers offer the wrong type needed for rhd

Hi all, thanks for the info and yes mr-reno it is the pushrod pump and i finally managed to get one.
so the R4 is back running , just need to get the carb set up now, looks like my Zenith 28 IF needs a new Diaphragm? as it only runs smooth with a bit of choke out.
thanks

Hi Safeulli, you won't find a diaphragm in your Zenith carb. If you find that you need to use the choke to run smoothly, there might be false air coming into the carb from somewhere. So check the gasket at the base of the carb. as well as the nuts that hold the carb to the manifold.
also a good idea to clean all the passageways in the carb, it made a huge difference to mine.

In the small rubber pipe that leads to the base of the carb, you should find a small plastic restrictor with a very narrow centre hole. I think it's about 0,7 or 0,8mm. First of all make sure that the restrictor is actually there, and then make sure that the hole is clear. It tends to clog with oil fumes from the rocker arm cover breather pipe.

And don't over tighten the nuts at the carb base, this causes the aluminum base foot of the carb to bend and gaskets can't cope with that, thus the carb base has to be flattened.
On Billancourt and Cleon engines, equipped with a double oil vapour circuit, the small restrictor (nozzle) is 1,3mm.
On Cleon 688-11 engines there's an extra restrictor (nozzle) of 5mm fitted in the hose connecting the carburetor and the rocker cover.
Attention: In any case the nozzle is very important in the oil vapour circuit because if a nozzle is not mounted where it is intended, this leads to a depletion of the mixture and therefore irregularities in operation of the motor. In case of adjustment problems it is imperative to think about checking the condition of the hoses and the presence of the restrictors

Source: http://la4ldesylvie.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=252&Itemid=139

Carterventilatie Zenith28if Cleon.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the infos, here a picture of the carburetor, i think it have a diaphragm?

• 20180319_104858.jpg
    20180319_104858.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180319_104920.jpg
    20180319_104920.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180319_105018.jpg
    20180319_105018.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Mojobaby, no there is only 28IF and that numbers on the picture here .

• 20180319_100619.jpg
    20180319_100619.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 13
I'm pretty sure it's a Spanish build (Eibar licence) Zenith 28IFP V05084 with acceleration pump or pneumatic full load enrichment. The earlier Eibar licenced Spanish build carbs where Zenith 28IF also with the acceleration pump.

Both have the diaphragm as Mojo correct wrote.

Most Zenith 28 carburetors are confusing because in the many countries where R4's where produced there where always small differences in various components. Later R4's (GTL, Clan, F6) with 688..12 or C1E.. engines comes with a Zenith 28IF V05084 as well but without the acceleration pump.

Last edited:
And don't over tighten the nuts at the carb base, this causes the aluminum base foot of the carb to bend and gaskets can't cope with that, thus the carb base has to be flattened.
On Billancourt and Cleon engines, equipped with a double oil vapour circuit, the small restrictor (nozzle) is 1,3mm.
On Cleon 688-11 engines there's an extra restrictor (nozzle) of 5mm fitted in the hose connecting the carburetor and the rocker cover.
Attention: In any case the nozzle is very important in the oil vapour circuit because if a nozzle is not mounted where it is intended, this leads to a depletion of the mixture and therefore irregularities in operation of the motor. In case of adjustment problems it is imperative to think about checking the condition of the hoses and the presence of the adjusters

Source: http://la4ldesylvie.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=252&Itemid=139
Phenomenal explanation. Thank you.

Electric fuel pump install or not install? Please share your opinions.

I fitted one as a backup for the mechanical pump as I was worried about that failing at some really inconvenient time. So I still have the mechanical pump which is probably the original one but I also have the added complexity of fuel line T-junctions and non-return valves. I bought the electric pump on eBay after checking here for the pressure spec but it is fairly noisy - it is positioned high up on the offside inner wing close to the bulkhead - and while I thought that it might become the sole pump in due course I no longer think that. I am looking out for a new mechanical pump but without success so far. I’ve seen versions of the pump for the R5 but I reckon that one of the feed pipes on that would need to loop back through 180 degrees and would be vulnerable to damage from gravel.

Back