Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine for sale 1.4 C1J

Chris H

Enthusiast
91k miles.

Ideal conversion for the 4.

Clutch has done 1500 miles. Alternator about 2 years old.

Still in car can be seen running and driven. Can video it as well if you like.

Why is the engine for sale? Its being pulled out and replaced with a 1.8 litre engine.

Carb etc all recently rebuilt, well maintained, will hit 115mph in the 19 happily enough. In a 4 I have no idea but I can tell you the extra power makes it safe, none of this 30 seconds to 60 etc!

Anyway its in Glasgow and I'm looking for 50 quid for the engine, will chuck in a fuill headgasket set as well (headgasket set was bought because it was goign to be ported and turbo'd), to crate it off will cost about £50 so £100 delivered. collection would save the postage costs obviously.

red%20carb%20removal%2001.jpg

hi chris,
i am very interested in your 1.4cij engine to put in my R4 F6. I am not sure what a cij is though, and what i would need for the installation. I am in south london, so it would need crating etc; i need an engine very soon as mine will not pass emisions test! so am very keen. You can call me on 07940593011. Thanks Tim

I didn't think the transverse engine could be fitted to a Renault 4 - the pulleys are all at the wrong end.

You are right Malcolm - it can't be fitted without a huge amount of hassle. Don't you remember discussing it with me when you peered under the bonnet of my R5 (Mk2) in Bedford many moons ago?

It was quite a fun discussion as we wondered if the later 1.4 could be mixed with the R4 1.1 engine to produce a Renault 4 1.4, but it turned out the liner seal arrangement is different between the two. There is a thread on the forum.

Mostly posted to make Tim.d aware that fitting a transverse engine to the Renault 4 wouldn't be all that straightforward before any money is spent.

hmm oh well. sorry about that.

To the scrap pile it will probably go then!

Sorry tim, can't sell it to you if it won't fit mate.

Back