Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine from GTL (1108cc) into a TL (850cc)

I'm a bit behind on writing up that project but here's progress so far: http://www.renault4.co.uk/renault-4-restoration.htm.

I had seen that restoration up to the 5 speed crossmember. It is looking great and the quality of your work is quite impressive. Will you need to get an independent engineering report before the car is re-registered? It is an expensive necessity here in Oz.

There's no need to change the inner wings for later ones. The early ones give you more space to fit the battery and master cylinder. No need to change the bulkhead either unless you are fitting GTL or Renault 5 pedals. The GTL master cylinder will bolt to the early pedal box with some mods to the push rod.

Ah, some good news. Less modification is definitely a win!

Renault 5 seats will fit. Some people use the Mk1 Gordini seats, but I think the Mk2 seats fit OK too. Seperate R4 seats from about 1973 onwards have enough space for the handbrake too. I'm running early '70s seats in my GTL because they are more comfy and better wearing than the GTL seats.

Mmm. I have two R5's here (Mk 1) and the drivers seats in both are a bit tatty and one does not match its passenger side original. I don't want to disassemble/ wreck the 5's so I guess I'll be looking at importing 2nd hand Gordini ones.
....although you would probably? need rear arms to fit bigger rear drums and bearings.
Thanks Paul, I agree. I think that a later model van setup is what I will need. Advantages of bigger brakes, hand-brake rear and possibility of wider wheels (not sure on this point) Later torsion bars may have a different sping rate (just a guess, on my part)

is it much cheaper to import 1/2 a car than a whole one?

I am not completely sure, but I think parts do not have the same import restrictions and costs as full cars do. The logic is that a full car could be registered to drive on public rouds. This would therefore harm the sales of new cars manufactured in Australia, putting locals out of work.
The costs of shipping, I expect are going to be high. I haven't contacted shipping firms yet, but I'm assuming 1 large shipment of half a car and assorted R4 and R5 bits will be cheaper than doing it piecemeal as individual bits and bobs.

thought maybe scrap R6 1108 cc are about down under ,that would also provide correct set up for you and get you front discs and umbrella rear h/ brake
all mountings and ancillaries would match up with your existing mk 1 5 parts
best of luck

Sadly, Renault 6's are nearly all gone over here. There were never many to begin with. Even if I could find one, few people would want to see it wrecked rather than restored.
Do you think that I should consider importing a front cut of a R6? How much more or less practical would this be than using a R4 as a donor do you think? How readily available are good quality front sections of R6's in the UK?

Thanks people for sharing your specific knowledge and yor good wishes. It certainly adds light (and enthusiasm) to the up-coming task.

Regards,

David

GTL (saloon) torsion bars had the same spring rate as earlier R4s. It's the F6 bars that are thicker, both front and rear. So you should look at these.

the biggest problem will be your ideal donor car would probably be some one elses idea of a restoration project
most experienced R4 enthusiasts will know where to draw the line and break the car instead

But as r4s in general are becoming rarer some people feel if its old it must be valuable driving prices upwards, Beware the unseen Ebay bargain !!

i think you will need to buy what you need as soon as it becomes available and not wait a year or so
probably an f6 van, but if you cut front end off most non renault minded breakers are likely to slice through torsion bars !! (think fittings on chassis are poss different any way body end,over to you on that one angel !)

15 years ago everything you needed would have been sitting in my yard but times move on and even renault extra parts are not so easy to come by now

seriously wish you good luck and hopefully someone on here can help you out before long
ps
i have got available front suspension and hubs ( with bars) for 1984 f6 but others may have a more complete set of parts on your wish list , which would no doubt simplify shipping arrangements
cheers paul

Back