Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Espace gearbox won't come off!!!!

Arnies41

I am replacing my gearbox in my Renault Espace. I have undo everything i can find so i can remove the gearbox, but it will not come off. It has moved apart about an inch but that is it. When i put the bottom out the top goes in and vise versa. Has anybody got any ideas??? Is the some sort of mechanism on there or something i have missed. Please help......I am going mad

I levered my R9 gearbox off with the help of a few pieces of wood. Stick 2 pieces in the gap, 1 on top and 1 at the bottom and gently lever the thing off with a 3rd piece about the length of your forearm. If there are any switches or sensors connected to the gearbox I strongly recommend taking them off before you proceed. I bent a few connectors here and there while taking the gearbox out.

Thanks for your reply. Just wondered if i have to have both driveshafts out to take off the gearbox.

Cheers

That does make life easier. First drain the oil if you haven't done so already. You can then take out the driveshafts without getting an eye full of oil. I think most carparts shops will also sell some tools, at least here they do. They should be able to get you the square tool you need to undo the drain plug. What type of Espace is it you are working on?

Back