Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

exhaust popping

mojobaby

Enthusiast
When I take my foot off the accelerator, I get a lot of little popping noises from my exhaust.
Other than that I have a great performance.
I'm hoping that I just need new spark plugs or points or something minor.
Any ideas please?

I got another compliment today....."tres jolie Quatrelle"

Thanks Pepper! Is that it? The exhaust is in pretty good condition with no rust but it's probably at one of the joints. I'll check it out

Its normally air getting into the exhaust system somewhere, check for leaks there first.

After a thorough search, I eventually found this small hole. Hopefully that's the one!!!
I did the repair with Gungum.

• DSCF6369.jpg
    DSCF6369.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 108
Wasn't that! still popping! But I think I've found it now.

The exhaust pipe has a join where it leaves the engine compartment and enters the wheel well. I could feel air pushing out so obviously the connection was at fault.

I pushed the pipe in deeper and tightened the clamp. Should be fine now:D

• DSCF6367.jpg
    DSCF6367.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 99
It's not that.
All right, at the expense of being mocked... if you are talking about the sound when you let go of the throttle pedal (whilst still in gear and clutch pedal is not pressed) and the "engine is breaking" and goes (I'm sorry but English is not my first language so my spelling is probably totally off) prm, prm... pop, prrpop (I guess you could call it pooping) then I say – cherish it 'cause it is a sound of a well tuned happy engine (not perfect), and a lot of fun – you just don't get it from a "modern" car. If you don't like it – a simple small turn of the distributor ought to turn it off.
On the other hand if it's something else – I stand corrected. Check the exhaust CO and the fuel consumption (about 5 liter per 100 km on the open road at 95 km/h should be about right) and if that is ok – then there is no problems – enjoy. :D

Thanks Serz. She's still popping even after refitting the exhaust clamp and pushing the pipe in deeper.
The noise doesn't worry me at all, it's just that it only started about 2 months ago and I don't know why.
I'll get the CO checked and if that's OK then I'll just leave it. By the way you got the "prm...prm...pop" just perfectly.

At last I've discovered the problem. Pepper was correct. The air leak was at the joint between the exhaust and the silencer.
I pushed the exhaust in a bit deeper and moved the clamp forward to a new position
Thanks for your advice!

Easy way to find out if you have leaks is to put a cloth on your hand and put it over the rear exhaust outlet, if its not pushing your hand out too hard, then there's a leak somewhere!

Back